Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
easy way to change brake band

Posted by leroy Mo. (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 7:22

I have an older Sears garden tractor model 16-6 model 917-25170 i have a new brake band to put on it but can not see an easy way to replace it short of removing the transmission. and it needs brakes bad in these Ozark Hills. any help appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: easy way to change brake band

the exploded parts diagram in the link below might help a bit... also take pix as you take assy apart - will help when putting things back together...

Here is a link that might be useful: sears 16 cl/brake parts list

o

Does it seem to you that you can safely flex the new band over the drum? If not, lower the trans. If so, you'll just have to decide that whether or not you can deal w/ the hardware. Maybe you will get some flexibility by removing the rubber plug, disconnecting the rod from the front 1st.

o

Well we got it on and it sure wasn't easy. First we had to remove the following items from the tractor to access bolts so you could remove the band. removed the brake rods and mounting brackets Left wheel and wheel weight, Seat and gas tank first drain tank, finally after getting the old band off then we had to put the new band on and reassemble every thing. It looks to me that they didn't plan on ever changing this band i call it poor fore thought
on engieers side. This old tractor has been through hell and sure wasn't babied. I bought it used with all of the equipment 21 years ago. It is one tough old tractor i tell you and it's been treated that way. I am disabled but have three sons in there 50's who take care of things around here and we use it in the winter as a bull dozer. well that's enough chatter. any questions send a reply. LeRoy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here