Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louky_gw

Kohler mv20 sparks, will not start with starter fluid

louky
9 years ago

I know I should post this model number of this engine and mower but the mower is at a distance. When I go back to work on it I want to be as prepared as possible as I won't be able to access tools or parts readily. Kohler MV20 on a Craftsman garden tractor.

I have a spark on both cylinders indicated by an inline spark detector. I cannot get it to "pop", even with starter fluid. I didn't have tools with me to pull the plugs. The mower started acting as if it was running out of gas, then died. I did find a dirty air filter and prefilter from running in dusty conditions, but there was no improvement when using a new filter.

My next step will be to take compression and change plugs. Is there anything else likely that I can prepare for (parts or tools/next troubleshooting steps)? Obviously, if I have compression issues I won't be able to do anything but bring the mower back with me, but if the compression is OK is there something else to try? Thanks

Comments (3)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

The most common issue for the stall on these is typically the fuel pump or a plugged vent in the cap. Obviously, that doesn't explain the no firing w/ starting fluid. Ideally, you should be using carb spray as a milder version of starting fluid. Possibilities that may create a no pop situation w/ the starting fluid could be that you had ingested enough water that it could't fire or maybe even that it is too flooded. Pull the line before the fuel filter and see if you note water. It may be a good idea to bring fresh fuel, a container for the old fuel, a catch pan for below the carb and a new fuel filter. I'd pull the plugs, solidly ground the cables and crank it to relieve the cylinders of the unspent fuel and cleaner- then do your compression test. If all seem OK, try a brief spray of carb cleaner in the cylinders and try your new plugs. If you do get it to try and run, I suppose you could try a tap or two on the fuel pump and if you are lucky it may run up until it sticks again.

• louky
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tomplum: Thanks for the prompt response. Could you explain what you mean by solidly grounding the cables? Should I have the plugs in the boot and ground the plug or ??.

I did try taking the gas tank fill cap off, and although I said I used starter fluid, it was actually carb cleaner.

Could you give me some ballpark figures on compression, both optimum (I'm sure this engine has some wear on it) and the minimum you would expect to support ignition?

Thanks again, BTW, it may be 2 weeks before I am able to get back to the property where this is located.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

You can get a service manual for free on this at the below link. You have to use IE with their site. Just click agree and enter as guest. What I had meant about grounding the spark plug wires (or you could ensure that the kill wire to the coil is grounded) was to prevent a spark from causing a fire as you will be venting fuel vapor from the spark plug hole- and also to protect the coil. They may publish a compression spec in the manual, if not use the 2 sides as a comparative figure. I'd like to think you'd be 90 #s plus. I just had a gauge on one about a week and half ago, but I don't remember what the actual reading was.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler

Sponsored