Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which is best B&S motor: Intek, Platinum or Pro?

Posted by milacqua z7 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 8:32

I'm thinking of buying a riding mower for my less than acre, flat lot. I have had a Sears hydro 3000 for several years and like it a lot but I'll keep it at my girl friend's house for when I have to cut her yard and just buy me a new one.

I have it pretty much boiled down to 42" models - Husqavarna with 22hp Intek, Craftsman YT4000 with 24hp Platinum and Craftsman Professional with 24hp Pro. I am considering many factors such as one model has a floating deck that I think would be best, another has foot directional control (which I prefer to fender control), tire size, price, weight, etc. One factor I want to also consider of course is the motor but I don't know a thing about them other than they are all twins. I'm sure they will all perform if maintained and probably outlast the rest of the tractor but does anyone know the real difference among these motors and which one is recommended? BTW, any comments concerning my choices of tractors overall would also be most appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which is best B&S motor: Intek, Platinum or Pro?

I wouldn't pay much attention to the designations,they are mainly marketing. I think if you check the model numbers, you will find that they all are 40 or 44 series so not a much difference.

Walt Conner

o
RE: Which is best B&S motor: Intek, Platinum or Pro?

• Posted by larso1 So. CO Zone 5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 13:40

Also, I would go with 46-in min. deck and 48-in if you have the storage space. Really does make a difference in mowing time and allows trimming next to edgings much easier since the deck sticks out beyond the wheels. Those brands offer relatively new 46-in 2-blade deck if it's the number of blades you're concerned about....3-blade on the 48-in. size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here