Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chriscu123

Craftsman tractor 12 volt issue

Chriscu123
10 years ago

Hello all. I have a 917.273223 with Kohler engine cv24 type 75532. Mower quit while mowing. Through this forum I have tracked the problem to a 12 volt issue I believe as I have lost my hour meter,the headlights, and the power to the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carburetor.The solenoid I believe is causing the no-start as the engine starts and runs fine with gas poured into front of carb. I also tested the fuel cutoff out of the tractor and it works fine. Electrical issues are not my strong point. I am guessing ignition switch but cannot afford to throw parts at it so I am open to any and all ideas. Thank you.

Comments (5)

• mownie
    10 years ago

Well, of course it would be best to test some circuits at the key switch, but you say you are not strong on electrical stuff.
    Can you read a volt meter or use a 12 volt test light?
    Do you own either of these?
    Have you looked at the schematic (in the owner's manual)?
    Looking at the owners manual schematic, I would have to suspect a defective key switch.
    But answer me this..........you state that the engine still wants to run if you pour some gas into the the carb. Are you still able to crank the engine using the key switch?
    If the key switch still has functions for the cranking circuits I suspect it has lost continuity (internally) to the circuits that feed all the electrical devices and lights.
    If you want to test the switch before you buy, reply back and we will guide you through.
    If you would rather skip the testing, it's probably safe to presume the issue lies inside the switch.
    Still, you will want to make sure you don't just have a loose fitting connector body on the back of the key switch.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

I'm with mownie with check the connector TO the key switch.

Look at the schematic on page 35 of your OM.
    On the lower left of that page, is a "truth table" showing what connections are made (or not) in the different switch positions.

You can make or buy (auto parts store) an inexpensive 12V test light.

Just think of the schematic as "plumbing".
    When ON (or cranking)-
    B(attery) is connected to A1, which supplys your"accessories" such as fuel solenoid, Hr meter etc.
    IF the engine is running, the alternator SHOULD be supplying those too!

• Chriscu123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello guys. Thank you for your time and suggestions. Mownie I do have a digital multimeter that someone gifted me. I can use it to see if a battery is ok but that's about it. I am willing to learn though. Also yes I was starting the tractor with the key. Thanks Bill I will get a test light. I am a little tired of being deficient in the electrical area. I see the schematic on page 35. Just a few minutes ago I used a work around for my lack of electrical know how. My neighbor has a newer model craftsman with the same switch. Could not be that easy however as the switch of the switches did not work. I guess I need to do some wire tracing. I had the shroud off the other day and looked fairly well underneath for any obvious wire damage but did not find any...

• Chriscu123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good news. After tracing and looking for damage I found that the connection at the engine near the oil fill tube had disintegrated. To look at it it looked ok but upon touching it it fell apart and there was corrosion on the wires.I had to abandon the connector and made direct connections as to how the wires lined up at the connector. Thank you for the responses and the offers of help. I guess I don't get the electric lesson after all. If you know of a good source for the use of the multimeter or testers I would appreciate your input. Sincerely,Chris Cummings

• User
    10 years ago

Chris,

You got the most important electrical lesson there is...

always start at square one and make sure all connections are tight and clean

Regarding learning to use your gifted DVM... don't try to measure house current till you know what you're doing.

This post was edited by justalurker on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 19:12

Sponsored