Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terric_2010

Best lawnmower for sloped yard

terric_2010
13 years ago

I have a backyard with a slope of about 25-30. The back yard is about 90 feet wide x 200 feet long. I currently push mow it, which is difficult even with a self-propelled. Is there a riding mower that I can purchase that is safe to use on this degree of slope?

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• marineguy
    13 years ago

My father lives in a mountainous area and uses my GT262 to mow his very hilly areas. I highly recommend a garden tractor with weighted agricultural tires, such as Carlisle Tru Power or Super Lug. You can buy them on eBay for around $200 for a pair. And you can expect to pay about $300 for a set of good cast iron wheel weights. That will do two things for you 1) give you a massive traction advantage, and 2) lower the center of gravity. If $500 sounds like a bit much to turn a $4,000-6,000 garden tractor into a hill traversing machine, you can buy cheaper asian import tires for about $120 a pair and fill them with $20 worth of windshield washer fluid. It's been a while since I filled mine, but I seem to think it took something like 8 gallons per tire. I also have wheel weights. Those are some heavy wheels.

• virginiacowboy
    13 years ago

I own JD now and like them a lot. However, at my former property I had hills larger than yours and one tractor stood out above all others I tested, Gravely. I bought an refurbished 18G that was so steady I could not believe it. It has more weight on the back wheels and its overall beefy weight makes it feel as stable as a tank on sloped country. I sold it with the property to give the new owner the right machine for the job. I suppose a Kabota four-wheel drive might be an option too, never tested it due to price.

• wrager
    13 years ago

How about a commercial, self propelled walk behind machine?

• virginiacowboy
    13 years ago

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/1870173565.html

This is a similar machine to my old one and I think in your state. They typically go for about $3500 used in good condition. Tranny was bullet proof and it bailed me out of more than a few messes that I got myself into out there. Trust me, I have a lot of experience mowing steep country and although the above poster is right on regarding being careful, this is far above the best GT for this purpose.

• gdj204
    13 years ago

Your final decision will probably come down to cost. Don't make the mistake of buying a lawn tractor (typically anything under $3000-$3500. These have light-duty transmissions that will not stand up to heavy use on steep slopes. So, if you aren't prepared to drop $4k on a decent GT, then you have two options: 1) purchase a good used GT for what you'd pay for a new LT, or 2) use a self-propelled hand mower like a previous poster mentioned.

If you want to get fancy, they make robotic mowers that handle slopes pretty well. If you want to think out of the box, you can get one of those hover mowers, tie a rope to it and walk it back and forth on the slope while you stay up on the flat.

If money is no object, you can get one of those fancy commercial mowers that are designed to mow on steep slopes (extra wide axles, pivoting cabs to keep the operator level, etc.).

Go with fluid in the tires before going with wheel weights. It will get the weight lower for a lower CoG, and I believe it is easier on the transmission than wheel weights.

• paulk
    13 years ago

Kubota GR - series.

• jd425
    13 years ago

I have a 30 degree sloped road ditch 200 yards long that I mow with a 60" JD 425 AWS. I can turn up hill or down hill with no problems. I also pull a 42" Dixon (with the drive chains off) beside/behind (for a 100" total cut) and I've never even had it slide or spin on wet grass. The 425 also has a rear wheel lockup pedal that gives great traction if I need it. I mow sideways the whole 200 yards, I weigh 240lbs and have never had the uphill tire spin which would indicate that its close to tipping. The AWS is an excellent tractor becuz it doesn't tear up the grass on tight turn arounds.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner