Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Carb Solenoid FYI

Kohler KT745-3012 on Sears 917.986450.

First time I used it to cut the grass it died at 4.1 hours. Towed to barn and called Sears. Tech came out, tried to start it, no go. Got can of carb cleaner, removed air cleaner and really drenched down carb throat, etc. keeping finger on solenoid on carb, turned key on and off several times verifying it "clicked" and attempting to break it loose-no go. Ordered new one, tech to return Friday.

Just sharing,

Ev

Comments (7)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Not sure how you expect carb cleaner to reach the solenoid?
    Did you verify you had 12V to the solenoid?
    If it's "stuck", you have to remove it and see if you can free the plunger.

• mownie
    9 years ago

If it died while you were using it, it was not "because the solenoid became stuck.
    If, and only IF.....it became stuck while you were operating the engine.......it would have "stuck" in the OPEN position, not the CLOSED position. And that would have had no effect on how the engine ran. The only thing you would have noticed would be the increased tendency for backfire bang when shutting down the engine via the key switch.
    With all that heavy dosing with carb cleaner.......did the engine try to run for a second or two?
    If you were feeding carb cleaner to the intake and the engine still did not try to start.........your issue may not be fuel related at all.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey guys, the OP was my adventure with a brand new Craftsman and Sears Service. Everything reported was what the Sears tech did. It did try to run after the liberal dosing with carb cleaner.

Mownie, I concur spraying in carb cleaner is after the shut off valve and it should try to run if everything else is OK.

Three year warranty from Sears, so not about to do any "diagnostizing" on my own. Interesting side bar, the three year warranty comes with the machine. for an additional $600 you can get the "service agreement" which provides warranty AND they'll come out and change oil, filters, belts, and plugs. They'll also change blades, however those have to be paid for. Wonder how many people buy the service agreement?

Again, just an FYI for y'all.

Ev

• mownie
    9 years ago

OK, I did notice the FYI in the thread title, but not knowing whether you were fishing or just relating what the tech did, I offered my take on the situation.
    So, for an additional $600 for the duration of their 3 year warranty ($200 per annum), you can get oil and filters, belts and plugs.
    I would still want to read the fine print on just "WHEN" some of those items get replaced.
    My point being that we know oil and oil filter change should be an arbitrary yearly procedure, so that would amount to roughly 6 quarts of oil and three oil filters over the life of the plan.
    But suppose the plugs, belts, air filters and such are stipulated to be changed "as necessary"?
    If one were calculating the cost of ALL the items mentioned presuming that ALL items were to be done each year, the plan almost seems worthwhile.
    But if all you are guaranteed to get every year is a couple quarts of oil and a filter, it seems a bit high to me.
    But I am always suspicious of service plans that sound like too good of a deal.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: UPS delivered a package containing the new carb solenoid, interestingly enough, it has a new carb attached? Guess I end up with a "new" (4.1hours) spare carb for this engine. :-)

Sears is due here tomorrow afternoon to install it.

Again, this is just an FYI on my adventures with the new Craftsman. So far, Sears Service has been great. They even scheduled the tech for tomorrow based on "tracking" that said the part would be delivered by UPS today. "Used to be," when you got the part, you called, then they scheduled the tech.

Ev

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: Tech came today and took the solenoid off the new carb and swapped it with the old one, left the new carb and old solenoid with me.

He also mentioned that he's glad he's only got a year or so till retirement as Sears is trying to sell the Auto stores and the Home Service business. We've all seen it coming for a long time.....:-(

• justalurker
    9 years ago

exmar,

FYI, Sears hasn't owned their onsite or depot repair service for many, many years. They contract A&E who along with fixing your mower also repair vacuums, dishwashers, refrigerators, and pretty much everything else.

Sponsored
Wheeler Architects
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Alexandria Architecture Firm Focused on Thoughtful, Functional Style