Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larryuno

Transaxle cooling fins necessary?

larryuno
10 years ago

I have a Poulan rider mower with a 42" deck, hydrostatic tgransmission. The cooling fins on the transaxle broke off; are they necessary, since I can't find a replacement fan?

Comments (20)

• larryuno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks, Mownie, I wasn't aware so much heat was generated in them.

My transaxle is Hydro Gear T2 AABC-1X1A-1GX1. I'll be searching, but no luck so far. The fins are white plastic, breaking after only 3 years. Does battery corrosion above it affect the life of the fan, do you know?

• mownie
    10 years ago

While most plastics are somewhat "resistant" to acid and corrosion byproducts from acid venting, some plastics and polyesters are down right fragile regarding exposure to acid and corrosion.
    Your number posted is not a valid Hydro Gear number to use in a search.The number you have posted is likely a Poulan in house ID number.
    Post the actual Poulan Tractor Model number or find a tag on the transaxle that looks like the one below. The XXX-XXXX number is the Hydro Gear model number.

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Is this one of the composite transaxels?

• larryuno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning Gents,

The number I posted was the sticker under the Poulan seat, yes. Poulan manual lists the whole transaxle part number only-at a cost from $650 up. The tractor is PB195H42LT.

The transaxle is aluminum housing, steel shafts, plastic fan.

I have located what i believe is the fan at a source called 'Jack's small engines. Are they reputable? Thanks a bunch for any/all assistance.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Apparently, the number you posted IS a valid Hydro gear#.
    It's certainly not a format that we'd expect-

I've never personally dealt with Jack's, (I can get my Honda parts at the dealer for exactly the same price as Jack's and not pay shipping) but I've heard of others that have used them with no complaints that I can recall.

It appears the fan is part of the pulley "assembly"?

Here is a link that might be useful: Transaxle

• mownie
    10 years ago

I have had satisfactory purchasing experiences with Jack's Small Engines.
    Kudos to Bill for getting results with that number. This is the first time I saw that format used and convinced myself it was not a valid model number.
    I thought it was like when we ask for model number and the poster comes back with data from the EPA sticker instead of the ID sticker.
    My bad! :^(

This post was edited by mownie on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 12:24

• larryuno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My thanks, Mownie, Tom and Bill; this is a great forum!

• ed1315
    10 years ago

"At the higher temperatures, the oil will also begin to aerate and foaming will occur. When the oil begins to aerate, it no longer supports hydraulic principles........and the transmission will lose its ability to function"

Loss of viscosity is well understood as a factor of temperature effects on oil.
    Please site your sources for data related to oil foaming due to excessive heat.
    If you can't then read this:

Causes and Solutions for Foaming in Oil

Ashley Mayer
    Tags: oil analysis

Foaming is a common problem with oil-lubricated components. It can be difficult to troubleshoot, and for this reason, accurate testing to determine the root cause of the foaming is essential.

Symptoms
    Foam is a collection of small bubbles of air that accumulate on or near the surface of the fluid. In severe cases, the foam can leak out of the machine through breathers, sight glasses and dipsticks. Foam is an efficient thermal insulator, so the temperature of the oil can become difficult to control. The presence of air bubbles in the fluid can lead to excessive oxidation, cavitation, the reduction of lubricating properties of the oil and hydraulic system failure.

Causes
    The causes of foaming are many. The most common include:

Water contamination

Solids contamination

Depleted defoamant (possibly due to the use of excessively fine filtration and electrostatic separation technologies)

Mechanical issues (causing excessive aeration of the fluid)

Overfilling of the sump with splash- and bath-lubricated compartments

Cross contamination of the fluid with the wrong lubricant

Contamination of the fluid with grease

Too much defoamant additive, either by incorrect formulation or by incorrect reconstruction (sweetening) of the additive package.........

As you can see temperature problems can result from foaming oil. Not the other way around.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

ed1315 - I took a look at the Ashley Mayer articles... suggest YOU take another hard look at them also while reconsidering your interpretation and comments relative to hydrostatic applications.....

• Shirley Sloan
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I try to find to order one and put Hustler Fastrak 926501 Fan only for Hydro Pump Transaxle cooling , they show me one but it does not look like the one that is on there now.

• John Kitchin
    3 years ago

Why did my fan blade melt off transaxle

• John Kitchin
    3 years ago

This is craftsman with a hydrogear

• krnuttle
    3 years ago

It has not been mentioned in the thread where the fins are. Because of the heat transfer properties, I doubt there would be plastic fins on the transmission housing themselves.

It would be more likely to be used as the fan. If it is the fan it seems like it would be a simple DIY project, loosen the screw holding the fan and. pull it off. Put the new fan blade on and tighten it down.

If the fins that were part of the housing broke off, that could mean the housing itself is cracked and a whole different problem. Some one said a new transmission was $650. With labor and tax that is a good chuck of the purchase price of a brand new tractor.

• John Kitchin
    3 years ago

No it's the cooling fan melted twice on the on top transaxle

• John Kitchin
    3 years ago

I believe it's a sealed unit something getting real

• John Kitchin
    3 years ago

Real

• krnuttle
    3 years ago

Sorry I did not realize that the OP posted his original message 7 years ago. I need to pay more attention to the dates.

• John Kitchin
    3 years ago

Hope it doesn't take me 7 years to get an answer

• ssewalk1
    3 years ago

John have you ever changed out the hydro fluid . You should since your fan apparently is not working for it to melt down . 20-50 syn oil is best . Your original oil most likely will be black with a distinct burnt odour .

Sponsored