Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drive belt problems need advice

Posted by richard48367 mi (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 11:47

gravely 1238H (old) drive belt listed as 73" by 1/2 put on 74 and it comes off after 5 or 6 hours. Put on 73" by 1/2 and it starts to smoke after 6 hrs when pto (mechanical) is engaged. Inside edge of belt is frayed. On the 73" belt, idler by engine pulley is so tight that it is hard to pull spring to set it. Would a 74" by 5/8" belt work better. (have one). Could I replace the spring on that idler arm to create less tension. Might that work. Don''t see any obstructions on belt route. Changing this drive belt is becoming a chore. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drive belt problems need advice

07216100 is the correct traction belt number. I guess I would get one of those. How are those pulleys? What do you think is changing when the PTO is run?

o
RE: drive belt problems need advice

The pulleys on the deck turn easily. When the pto is engaged the pto belt gets very tight. The idler belt on the drive belt pulley seems tighter than it should be. When you put the spring back into the side of the chassis, the spring doesn't fit the way it should . . . that is it reallly doesn't seat itself in the hole the way it should. would a 5/8 fit in these pulleys instead of the 1/2"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here