Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockhound758

GT 235--Starting problem; no cranking, just buzzing

rockhound758
9 years ago

I did a search before posting this but didn't find enough information so apologies if already addressed on this forum but any help would be appreciated.

My 15-year old JD GT 235 has been a trooper and I love it, but yesterday when trying to start it I got an immediate, very short "clunk" and then nothing but a low buzzing noise. Turning the key again gets nothing but the buzzing noise, which originates under the dash area.

The battery is a year old but I still tested it and it was fine; fully charged. Mower is disengaged and I'm assuming seat shut off switch is fine (also I don't think I'd get ANYTHING if it was one of those two things).

I'm going to call the local JD dealer tomorrow (they're very solid) but I thought I'd ask the forum in the meantime. I'm suspecting a starter or solenoid, and I've seen referencing to "jumping" the solenoid for diagnostic purposes but I'm not clear on how to do that (I do a lot of DIY work, just not much small engine repair).

Suggestions? Thanks in advance and apologies if I missed something obvious already posted on this forum.

Larry
Powell, OH

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio