Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wnyc65

Husqvarna YTH2148

wnyc65
17 years ago

I have a Husqwarna YTH2148 that looses power when i enguage the mower deck. The engine also "Backfires" a little, but not all the time. I have checked all the normal itmes (Fuel, Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter) and all seem fine, except that one of the spark plugs keeps fouling out, while the other is clean.

Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• HerringboneD28
    17 years ago

I wonder if you could be experiencing the infamous Kohler head gasket problem? Can you give us the engine mfg, hp, date of mfg off the engine tag, and approx number of hours on the engine? Oh... and what's the condition of the air cleaner filter?

• wnyc65
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fogott to mention that the engine is a B&S Vanguard 21 hp. and i just cleaned out the air filter.

• HerringboneD28
    17 years ago

Ignore my previous post then.

• jerryo
    17 years ago

wnyc65 wrote: "Forgot to mention that the engine is a B&S Vanguard 21 hp. and i just cleaned out the air filter."

But, did you clean the engine fins? I see this listed in the manuals, but don't see it mentioned by those who do maintainence.

Just wondering if it is really needed.

JerryO

• banger
    17 years ago

could well be one of the stop diodes that turn the engine off
    i.e. leaking to earth! requires a bit of electrical knowledge to check.

• wnyc65
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Update: Had my mower picked-up by a B&S Master Sales and Service Dealer. I recived a call from them indicating that they ran the motor without oil and needed to rebuild it. Seems like i can't get a break with this mower.

• puttopasture
    17 years ago

I have a Cub Cadet with the same problem. Its has 60 hours and has been with the dealer for almost 3 months. Cub Cadet tech service has been involved for almost a month suggesting repairs and part exchanges. Last week they replaced the main wiring harness and its still does not work. The Cub is a 42" with a 19hp Kohler motor. Do you thing the dealer did not look at a head gasket? Any other suggestions?

• wnyc65
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would suggest that if the engine is still under warranty i would demand that a new engine be provided. I have a B&S Vanguard with a 2 yr. warranty and i have had problems since the fall of the first year that i had the tractor.

• rej2
    17 years ago

Sounds like he should be stripped of his "Master" service designation! Your the one who should be demanding a new motor instead of a rebuild. REJ2.

• woodinvirginia
    17 years ago

Wnyc65 You never said how old your Husqvarna was, I have a similar AYP/Craftsman unit that started slipping,losing power when I put in gear for mower deck and also after around 10 minutes of warming up. Service man noticed leak from (Non-servicable transaxle) on my rear tire. My tractor is 9 yrs old + Hydrostatic drive So I suspect a new Trannt is in order. Hydrostatic Part is $400, Installation is $200. I am going to do it because my Grey Craftsman model was one of the last models built on the HD chassis freme and it has a Kohler engine. I fully expect this unit to last 20 years with regular maintenace. I have used it as a garden tractor with aeration, thatch implellers,tillers, snow blade etc. To replace a transmission after 9 years of service is understandible. The older models were built to last more than 10 years ! Good luck with your engine rebuild, I would demand a engine replacement though...

• gmcman
    17 years ago

They ran it dry and want to rebuild it?? Tell them to replace it and if they wont and not to suspect they wont change everything but make sure you get a new liner, piston, rings, cam, crankshaft, (lifter?) prolly cheaper to replace but I would DEMAND a new engine.

• baseballdad_windstream_net
    17 years ago

I had the same problem, same result as your master dealer. Now I am shopping for a new engine. Obviously the Briggs is a piece of crap. Mine was 4 months out of warranty when it snapped the connector rod. Now they want $1400 for a new engine. I would demand brand new KOHLER if I were you. Great mower but obviously this engine has problems.

• orangemower
    17 years ago

I have a similar problem. My mower constantly fouls plugs and has power surges at high rpms. All plugs, fuel and air filters are changed each season and after 30-40 minutes of mowing begins to have the same symptoms again. This mower has the B & S Vanguard engine. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with this mower.

• moorered_consolidated_net
    16 years ago

I had the same problem. took the shop over a week to find it. turned out to be the cam. only on the side that fouls plugs, that side, the lobe for the exhaust valve was just about flat. not sure why, maybe just a soft metal on that lobe. the other 3 lobes had normal wear. strange things going on with B & S. guess they do not make anything to last anymore...

Sponsored