Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transaxle( 917.271013) Craftman

Posted by peculiar1 Iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 12:45

I am noticing a slight leak from the transaxle

First, how do I check the level of fluid?

Second, is there a filler cap?

Third, what weight gear lube? and why is this basic stuff not in the manual.. :-(

I need to finish the the season out...will fix in winter..

This is my first post..be nice please...LOL!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transaxle( 917.271013) Craftman

If that is a hydro-static transaxle, they are usually not designed for owner maintenance. The makers figure if you like the tractor, you will invest in a new unit, and forget any maintenance on the old one! Although, there are a few folks here that might have a fix for the problem.

o

Oil is 80 W 90 gear oil.

Here is a link that might be useful: IPL for 917.271013

o

If you are noting dampness on the outside of the transaxle as opposed to actual dripping, don't sweat it. If there is leaking, pull the battery, set the park brake and pull the driven pulley. Once cleaned- you will see a small plug on top. let the oil container set in the hot sun and do your best to put some oil in the thing. You'll soon know what I mean.
The other version is much more involved which includes pulling the transaxle, cleaning, splitting, cleaning, swearing, cleaning, repairing the leak if possible, more swearing and cleaning- possibly in the end packing it w/ lithium and hoping for the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here