Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garlicjim

Mowless Mower

garlicjim
13 years ago

Hi All, I'm looking for a mower-type tractor without the mow deck.

Anyone know where I could find such an animal?

I have a tractor with a loader, so don't want that type.

Regards,

Jim

Comments (17)

• rcbe
    13 years ago

Should be able to chk around wth your local tractor boneyards to find such... lots of decks wear out first.

• garlicjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Methinks you misunderstood :). I'm looking for a new tractor without the mower deck.

Thanks,

Jim

• mownie
    13 years ago

In that case, I suggest you jump to a higher tier of tractor in your search (if you want NEW).
    Generally, Riding Mowers, Lawn Tractors, Yard Tractors, and Garden tractors are a package aimed at the task of "mowing", and as such, simply are not marketed as a tractor chassis.
    You want to buy just a basic tractor with no accompanying mow deck, you need to move on to the higher tier of marketing that is called "Compact Utility Tractor" (aka CUT) or the somewhat smaller "Sub-CUT" line.
    But if price is an obstacle, you will not find joy in buying a new Sub-CUT or CUT expecting a break because of "no deck".
    Mass marketing being what it is, Sub-CUT and CUT class just does not enjoy enough sales to partake of the feeding frenzy that you find with YTs, LTs, GTs and the like.

If this has not shed some light for you, perhaps you could tell us just what the heck you have goin' on with this search :^)

• windcatcher
    13 years ago

Simplicity higher end Garden tractors come base without the mower.

It may be possible some of those green tractors on the higher end do also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simplicity Prestige

• garlicjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sears told me that their larger ones can be shipped with the deck separately (not attached).

Thanks,

Jim

• popcornhill
    13 years ago

Is that kind of like going in and ordering a hamburger for say $3.00. Instead of ordering the happy meal for $2.00 and giving the fries and cokes away.

• garlicjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't think so. It's like going in and NOT buying the value
    meal for $3.99 when I only want a hamburger and get one for
    $1.00 .

• larso1
    13 years ago

Sounds like you're getting the deck (unmounted) with the mower anyway. Decks are not that difficult to remove from any lawn/garden tractor....they're made to be removed. So, I don't get it?

• garlicjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm no stranger to wrenches and I have a shop full of'em, BUT if it came without one, I'd be a couple skinned knuckles less.
    Also, I don't really LOVE wrenching. Now you get it, doncha?

Anywho, I have given up on that unless I can tell someone to leave it off. My old one was never removed and it did what I wanted it to do.

Regards,

Jim

• mownie
    13 years ago

If you get skinned knuckles every time you get near wrenches, you are not doing something right.
    All this time I wondered what sort of special or devious project you had in store for a mowerless tractor.
    But now............I still don't get it.
    Listen, you can tell us. We know how to keep a secret. I swear on a stack of service manuals I won't tell a soul.

• garlicjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're a nut, Mownie . I was just being funny, as I think you are, too. I thought I mentioned what I wanted to do with a "mowless mower". I race'em!! I know you've seen lawn-mower races, haven't you?? Only kidding! I have five acres here in the deserts of NM. About an acre or so is under gravel, as in driveways shed yards and barn yards. I use the mower to pull small scrapers, rollers and weed sprayers around a couple times or so a year. The other land I mow with my Ford 4wd tractor. Could use it for the entire area, but I also have to spray week killer around in our
    1/2 acre yard, which has desert landscaping. Just how devious can a fellow get? BTW, my knuckles are skinned from them dragging through the gravel :). Now, as toy swore, don't tell a soul.

BTW, I posted a question about "which mower" on here a little while ago. Which one do you consider more devious (smile)?

Regards,

Jim

• mownie
    13 years ago

Yes, I have seen lawn mower races, and lawn tractor-pulls.
    I have yet to see a "GT" at Le Mans, but you never know.
    Get the Craftsman..........you might get a chance to meet Bob Vila that way.
    Whatever you buy,if you need to sell the deck, put it on e-Bay or craigslist. :^)

• mownie
    13 years ago

Hmmmm, garlicjim's sense of humor about "racing them" really through me off course. I thought he was serious at first. The I saw his "disclaimer" of "Only kidding".
    So now I see the true intended uses for the tractor.
    Towing and pushing.
    Now I can give a real opinion on type of tractor.
    Since anything to do with a deck is not to be a consideration, and some of the task involve "ground engaging accessory equipment", I think you should be looking at Garden Tractors instead of Lawn Tractors (after all, "you ain't got no lawn mister".
    The scraper or any kind of "drag" you may pull is going to impose the greatest loads on the power train, and therefore, you need a Garden Tractor.
    Garden Tractors usually have a "down and dirty" lower gear range than Lawn Tractors for a very good reasons.
    I would personally prefer a Garden Tractor that had a gear type transmission instead of a hydrostatic drive or a 2 belt vari-drive.
    The 2 belt vari-drive system is a pretty good "compromise" between a standard gear type transmission and the all hydraulic hydrostatic drive.
    I think a Garden Tractor is needed here, not a lawn mower.

• garlicjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mownie! You got serious . I agree with everything you said, except perhaps the part about the tranny. I borrowed my friend's garden tractor the other day. It's set up for all the attachments, etc. And it's an automatic 20 HP model. So, that makes me wonder whether it really makes any difference or if maybe it isn't a matter of preference. I've pretty much settled on a 21 HP Craftsman 6-Speed. Under the circumstances, I just can't justify spending more than that. If I had a new carb on my old one and it still ran ok, I might not even bother with a new one. But I can't drag around and wait for the weeds to take over again (smile).

Regards,

Jim

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Well ifin you want a cheap Tractor Sears is the way to Go . I was going to advise Cub Cadet , but for your needs the Sears Product will suffice. I probably would have preferred a Small 250-300 cc Quad 4x4 (used) , which would be much more versatile but more $$$ since you already have a dedicated A/T ford 4x4 for grass cutting needs. Have to admit I was with Mownie , had me scratching my head lol :).

• mownie
    13 years ago

garlicjim, please note that the primary distinction I made was "Garden Tractor" versus "Lawn Mower" or "Lawn Tractor".
    The other differences of power train type would be somewhat up to the user's preference as to whether a gear type, a vari-drive, or a hydrostat tranny was in the machine.
    But a hydrostatic drive GARDEN TRACTOR will out perform a hydrostatic drive LAWN MOWER or a LAWN TRACTOR in regard to the punishment it will take before it rebels, or dies.
    Do you know the sears model number on the Craftsman you are considering?

• garlicjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One of these.....probably the 6-Speed.

http://tinyurl.com/296rbr8

Regards,

Jim