Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elliesgnoll15

husqvarna yth23v48 vs. allis chalmers ac130 (46') 23hp all wheel

elliesgnoll15
12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I would truly appreciate your input. I am looking for a new riding lawn mower. I will use it on a total of 2 mostly flat acres on two seperate properties and do some towing with it. I can't afford the top of the line tractors, but I don't want one that won't last either. At the moment, I am considering stretching my budget to buy one of these two mowers:

Allis Chalmers AC130 (46") 23HP All Wheel Steer Lawn Tractor

$1999 (brand new, nearly $1000 off)

Husqvarna YTH23V48 (48") 23HP Lawn Tractor (2011 Model)

$1799

The big deifferences that I can tell are the motors and the all wheel turning that the Allis Chalmers has. I don't really care so much about the all wheel turning. To me its just a nice bonus. I am curious about the difference in the motors. The Allis Chalmers has a 23HP/724cc Briggs & Stratton ELS� V-Twin OHV Engine and the Husqvarna has a 23 HP Briggs and Stratton Intek V-Twin Engine.

I have read on previous posts that they are basically the same engine while the Allis Chakmers engine has been tweaked to last longer. I have also read a series of post and replies from 2007 complaining about the ELS engine having a bad air filter. That was supposed to be fixed.

Can anyone comment on the durability of these mowers? To me that is the most important factor in my decision. I would like to get 10-15 years out of my next mower. Is this even possible with these tractors? Is there a better more durable model in this price range?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sincerely,

Greg

Comments (3)

• User
    12 years ago

They are both entry level lawn tractors with entry level engines, not motors. Posts and replies from 2007 are far behind the times and don't reflect current realities.

Along with the nice bonus of all wheel steering comes added mechanical complexity that can involve more and frequent maintenance and more frequent repair or not.

The best advice is yet another repost of Slammer's Rules...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.
    (Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with one or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

I'll add to Slammer's Rules that the dealer is an important consideration before and after the sale. If you are shopping at L&G dealers then you are a smart consumer... if you're shopping at big box stores then find DEALERS.

• User
    12 years ago

The Ac only has only 2 anti-scalp wheels on the deck, a Peerless transmission, and only a 2 year warranty which is less desirable than the Husqvarna's 4 anti-scalp wheels. Tuff Torq transmission.and 3 Year Limited / 5 Year Chassis and Axle warranty.

Again, the warranty is only as good as the dealer standing behind it.

All in all the Husqvarna has a better pedigree and is better equipped. Try to find a local dealer.

• elliesgnoll15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I was leaning towards the husqvarna because of the longer warranty.

Sponsored