Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moerrr

wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker

moerrr
13 years ago

Wasp Spray - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Comments (4)

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

I'd be very cautious about following this advice. You could potentially expose yourself to significant legal liability.

If this wasp spray can cause permanent damage (and a comment is made about requiring an antidote from a hospital), you could have legal exposure for using excessive force and subject to a tort action from the perp.

Pepper spray does not have long term affects and is less dangerous than MACE, which is why it is commonly used.

Before I get flamed for defending burglars and thieves, let me set the record straight: I think it is important to protect yourself legally as well as physically. Just because you may feel morally right using the wasp spray, you can subject yourself and your employer to significant legal jeopardy.

• virginiacowboy
    13 years ago

If someone feels their life is in jeopardy during a home invasion, dont over think it, defend yourself. Remember that law enforcement has a much higher standard when judged on excessive force due to expectations of training and equipment available. Citizens have no formal defensive tactics or laws of arrest training and therefore have a much wider berth on what a reasonable response might be. However, even a police officer is allowed to use any use any weapon available in a deadly force situation to defend their life or another's life. Trust me, I know.

If you have the ability to escape and call the police that is always the safest answer and the most easy to defend legally. However, if you are threatned and in fear, strike first and strike hard.

Not the forum for this I know...

• james2010
    13 years ago

Over the past several months, bloggers nationwide have been promoting the use of wasp spray as the ideal self defense product. They claim it has numerous advantages over pepper spray. Unfortunately, a little research has proven this to be very bad advice.

Using Wasp Spray or any type of insecticide or pesticide "in a manner that is inconsistent with its labeling" is a violation of Federal Law. This is stated directly on the label of every wasp spray canister. If you use wasp spray in this manner, you are opening yourself up to a much greater civil liability as well as potential criminal charges. Since it is a violation of federal law, it could also be ruled as a felony.
    Pepper Spray provides both a legal and non-lethal means of defending yourself. The FBI conducted an extensive field study on pepper spray in 1989. They found pepper spray to be extremely effective because it does not rely on pain to incapacitate as it causes the eyes to shut involuntarily. Police worldwide have since adopted pepper spray for their officers. Pepper spray is proven, safe, legal and effective.
    Increased range is the main reason why bloggers suggest wasp spray. The home defense style pepper sprays have a range of up to twenty-five (25) feet and unlike wasp spray, these pepper sprays require less user accuracy as their impressive spray pattern will cover an entire doorway!
    The bottom line, you should not use wasp spray unless you are justified to use lethal force. If you are justified to use lethal force, you donÂt need wasp spray, you need a firearm.

• esemilio
    13 years ago

I wish you guys take this someplace else. I don't see how this topic/subject is related to tractors.

Sponsored