Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barrybob

john deere stx38 pto switch shuts off engine

BarryBob
11 years ago

I originally found the forum topic labeled 'stx38 dies when pto engaged - old man needs help!' And, being it described my issues, followed the instructions that solved his problem but, it didnt work for me.

Here's my problem with my JD STX38. When I engage the PTO to activate the blades, the engine dies after 5-6 seconds. At first the blades would turn, now after working on this for a couple days the PTO switch doesnt turn or activate the blades anymore and there is still that 5-5 second delay until the engine dies.

Here's what Ive done so far, Bypassed the PTO switch but still got the same result of engine shut off. Checked connections & wires for wear grounding etc but am now at a loss, short of buying a new PTO unit & going through all that for this old JD. I would be more liable to buy a new mower in that case as this has its issues & shortcomings even when working.

Any ideas out there? Remember, this has been running fine since I owned it (1 1/2 yrs) & I made no changes to anything that precipitated the engine shutting down shortly after activating the PTO.

Thanks in advance for te help. I'de hate to scrap this little green & yellow mower.

Comments (6)

• javert
    11 years ago

Barry - Good advice from Buckhorn (above). ALSO, check the ground wire that is attached to the underside of the frame behind the right front wheel. It's just a thin little wire that is screwed to the flat part of the frame in the area near the PTO mechanism itself - make sure it's clean and firmly attached.

• BarryBob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a an idea & boy does that make sense. I didnt mention that I did change the regulator but the machine does have a worn out battery. I'm going to skip the wire testing (cause I blowed up me tester oops)& put the charger on the battery & leave it there while running just to see if the PTO will come back to life & spin the blades. I've managed to get those clamps to hold & stay on under the seat without sparking before so... if this works & the machine stays running, I should just get a new battery? This one is played anyway with multiple dead clicks before actually turning the motor over, or, should I get a new tester & check those numbers before hand?
    Thanks for the smart thinkin. Barry

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

I find it difficult to believe that your battery would have enough capacity to start the engine, but a 5 AMP draw from the PTO would "starve" the battery to the point that the carb fuel solenoid (not the ignition) would kick out and kill the engine within 5-6 seconds.

Is the engine killing 5-6 seconds after engaging the PTO?
    OR
    Is the engine "killing" immediately and then taking 5-6 seconds to quit rotating after you pull the PTO?

My guess is the later and stems from a bad/misadjusted seat switch.

I don't have a schematic for that tractor, so I can't give specific troubleshooting advice.

• 89tango
    10 years ago

I have the same problem on the same mower-stx38 yellow deck. I've changed the PTO switch, installed a new battery, checked voltage and have 14.75 when engine is running, so voltage regulator seems to be ok and I've cleaned all grounds and set the gap on the clutch as near as I can to .018. What's next--change the clutch?

• 89tango
    10 years ago

I might add, unlike the problems from BaryBob, my mower runs and cuts for several minutes and then shuts off. With mower not running, I have 12 volts down to the PTO and as I said above, I just put in a new battery and when running I have 14.+ volts at the battery so it is charging.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals