Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briggsgalaxieman

Briggs V-Twin won't crank over....

briggsgalaxieman
10 years ago

Craftsman GT5000: 917.276080 with Briggs V-Twin: 446777-0244-E1

This is a long standing problem with this engine. Getting worse....

The Problem: When trying to start the engine it usually will not turn over. The starter engages the flywheel, but usually it cannot overcome the compression of the engine. When hot the problem is much worse. If I stop the engine when hot it simply will not crank until cool and maybe not even then!

What I have done:

1. Eliminated (most) electrical causes: Charged the battery fully...no help. Replaced the battery...no help. Cleaned all connections...no help. Used auto jumper cables to connect battery directly to starter and engine block...no help!

2. Eliminated mechanical drag: Removed mowing deck...no help. Also, removed PTO clutch so that crank was 'bare'...no help.

3. Adjusted valves per Briggs instructions...no help.

4. Replaced the camshaft (I understood that the compression release is built into the cam)...no help.

Currently the only sure fire way to get it to crank, when cold, is to manually rotate the engine by grabbing the flywheel screen until I feel it just pass a compression cycle. Then, it can get a 'flying start' before hitting another compression 'hill' and it will crank and start/run just fine.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks....

Comments (5)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Grab the voltmeter and run voltage drop checks over various parts of the cranking circuit.
    Click the link if you don't know how-

The tutorial only shows 3 tests.
    You can narrow it down to smaller segments, such as battery post to battery terminal, battery terminal to cable, cable to other terminal etc. etc.

Determine WHERE you are getting the highest reading and correct that. Than work your way down to the next worst etc.

Are the engine mount bolts tight? That's often overlooked. Block to frame provides the ground path.

Here is a link that might be useful: Voltage drop

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 18:59

• ericwi
    10 years ago

The ground connection between the battery and the steel frame is just as important as the positive(+) cable. A bad ground could result in poor cranking power.

• briggsgalaxieman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill and ericwi,

Thanks for your comments.

You may have missed what I wrote above:

"Used auto jumper cables to connect battery directly to starter and engine block...no help! ". I have connected the negative battery post directly to the engine block and the positive battery post directly to the starter with very heavy duty jumper cables...no crankie...

By doing this, I believe, I have completely eliminated voltage drops over any of the electrical starting circuit, including 'battery post to battery terminal', 'battery terminal to cable', 'cable to other terminal' AND 'ground connection between the battery and the steel frame'....

Assuming the battery is good (which I verified by using two separate fully charged batteries) then the problem has to be in the starter or something mechanical in the engine. No?

• tomplum
    10 years ago

You can still have a compression release that won't function with the valves adjusted properly. Can you see the hiccup of the CR working? As an experiment, either adjust the intakes tighter or slide a feeler gauge between the tappet and the valve.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

""Used auto jumper cables to connect battery directly to starter and engine block...no help! ". I have connected the negative battery post directly to the engine block and the positive battery post directly to the starter with very heavy duty jumper cables...no crankie..."

You're still not checking one important connection.
    Think about it........Stare at it.......... mull it over in your mind.........

Then again, maybe it's simply worn out and needs new bushings on the shaft ends & brushes?
    Of course, until you determine that's where the voltage drop is........

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 21:47

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia