Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bersho

craftsman 917.271140 makes loud click, but won't start

bersh
11 years ago

I have carefully checked brake/clutch mechanism and parking brake, but still only get loud click when I turn ignition key. About 20 hours of mowing ago, had key module replaced with slightly different version than original, but repair guy assured me no bad consequences if upon reinstallation, key worked, along with other functions. btw, the headlights are strong. Is it worth $23.00 to replace solenoid as opposed to having service guy charge $35 for diagnois? The engine is a kohler 16.5 and no electrical problems until now (assuming it is electrical)./

Comments (8)

• walt2002
    11 years ago

Well the first thing to do is some checking. Use a small jumper wire between the positive battery cable terminal on the starter solenoid and the small terminal on the solenoid where the wire from the ignition switch connects. There MAY be two small terminals, if so, one will be connect to ground.

Now, does the starter run OK? IF so, solenoid is good. IF not, solenoid MAY be bad OR battery may not be good but you said the lights were strong. Battery cable connections may not be good. Were the ground cable connects to the frame is often overlooked. Use a good set of jumper cables and jump directly to the starter and see what happens.

More if needed after this.

Walt Conner

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

When it clicks, do the headlights dim?

IF so, that indicates a low battery or bad battery cable connection.
    If NOT, it indicates a bad starter solenoid.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Looking at the schematic more-
    Lights are part of the key switch, so that test isn't going to work very well.....

So-
    with the headlights ON, jumper 12V to the small solenoid terminal as per Walts suggestion.
    Then observe headlight results.

• vandtbear1
    11 years ago

Have you tried checking the safety switches? I had one do the same thing you mentioned and it turned out to be the pin switch under the seat had come loose. Connected it back up and used a nylon zip tie to make sure it didn't happen again.

Also try and jumper them out if they still appear to be connected properly.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Seat switch has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the crank circuit on this tractor.

I've yet to see a tractor where it did.

• vandtbear1
    11 years ago

Sorry, I did not look up this model number and view the wiring schematic.

Well in my case the clicking I heard was the relay working. Pin switch not engaging = no crank. Just thought it couldn't hurt to check those pin switches. Doesn't apply here I guess.

• dr_mike
    11 years ago

the solenoid is the most commonly replaced part that has nothing wrong with it. if it is clicking it is working. it simply an elctromagnetic switch that when energized (the click) simply connect the two battery cables together to spin the starter. if this is clicking then all of the related safety switches are working. it is either the ground as a previous poster stated. have tryed to spin the engine by hand? put you hand on the screen on top of the engine and see if turns. if it does not the engine could be seized.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

A click from the starter solenoid DOES NOT automatically mean it is good. In MOST cases it tells you that the trigger/ safety circuits are ok.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals