Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mower_moe

engine seized - Craftsman 917.287210

Mower_moe
9 years ago

Hello,

The other day while I was mowing, my lawn mower quit. I tried to restart but couldn't. I've checked the battery, solenoid and today I took off the starter and connected it directly to the battery. Doing that made it spin freely. I then connected it back and connected it directly to the battery and it can't turn the engine. I've also tried to move the flywheel by hand and can't.

The tractor is 8 years old, any ideas of what I should try next? Is it simply time for a new mower?

Thank you!
Moe

Comments (4)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

You might remove the spark plug and then see if it'll crank.

Next, I'd remove the valve cover and see if there is obviously something amiss.

• Mower_moe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I removed the spark plug, gave it some more oil and was able to get the flywheel to turn and eventually turn over. I then cut half of my yard. I was pulling it back in when I heard a pop/snap and the motor just started spinning.

Now when I try to start it the motor spins normally but never turns over. I replaced the spark plug thinking that was the issue but it still won't work. Again, I turn the key and the flywheel spins, just doesn't turn over. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

"when I heard a pop/snap and the motor just started spinning. "

What do you mean ....."just started spinning"?

You might remove the spark plug and with a pencil or similar and slowly crank the engine by hand and see if the piston is moving up & down.

• oldandred
    9 years ago

If it was the 20 hp Briggs single cyl, I have one eight years old also just a cutting along one day and it locked up no noise no smoke and a month later its still locked up I'm going to replace it with a 17.5 Briggs they had a lot of trouble with that engine. Its going to cost me a little over 400.00 for engine and oil and filter

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?