Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garlicjim

Tecumseh - Starting Problem

garlicjim
13 years ago

Ok Guys, new program! I decided NOT to get a new "mowless mower" after all.....at least not yet.

The engine in my mower is a 13 HP Tecumseh. The carb was shot and it wouldn't start. Had been having to prime it for a long time.

So, I ordered and installed a new carb. Wouldn't start. I primed it a tad and it started right up (wouldn't even start before, even with priming). Runs like a watch, but I'd like to know what else (other than the carb) would cause it to need priming every single time I want to start it. Starts easily once primed, tho.

Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid having to truck the thing 40-50 miles to have it worked on.

Many thanks,

Jim

Comments (9)

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

We need some numbers on that engine so we can figger out just what to tell you to do to fix it. 13HP doesn't do much. We need numbers! The numbers should be on the flywheel cover, or on a tag, or in the booklet, or somewhere. How old is it? There are any number of things that can give problems, in the fuel delivery system, or the ignition, or the safety switches, or other things. Did you have the carb off? And, did you get the control rods back on correctly?

• garlicjim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Numbers? You want numbers? I got numbers (smile).

OHV 130 206820D
    YTPXs3582AA

New Carb: Tecumseh Carburetor Part No. 640065A

To be honest with you, I didn't figure anyone on here had enough knowledge to know one engine from another, by the number. So, I certainly don't mind being specific.

Someone said I might have an air leak (???). Someone else said I might have it a little over-full on oil (???). I think it may be above the mark/

Everything is back on and I'm using the machine. Runs like a swiss watch! However, I must prime it to start it. For a while after I get it started it will re-start, but if it's off for half an hour or so, it won't restart without priming. At least I was able to spray weed killer on an acre or so. Hate to have to prime it every time, tho. If I can't determine the problem, I'll rig up a primer (smile).

It's 10-12 years old, probably. I finally put a new plug in it when I put on the new carb. Think it needs oil (smile).

Regards,

Jim

• baymee
    13 years ago

Doesn't this carb have a manual choke? I suspect the choke plate isn't closing all the way.

• gpitch17_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I am looking for a Tecumseh Carburetor 640065A OHV130

do you stock this item? Do you ship to Europe? If so, what are your prices/fees?

thank you for your help

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

To: Garlic Jim. With your attitude about our "smarts", you will be lucky to get any help here!
    Calm down yer smarty attitude, and maybe we'll try to help!
    And, just maybe, the engine needs a valve job. or a head gasket, or piston rings, or a retirement, to the shelf! RJ

• mownie
    12 years ago

Come on rusty jones...............I can't believe you are seriously chiding garlicjim.
    Those remarks he made were entirely in fun. (he added "smile" in parentheses 3 times).
    Now, if you want to get after geoffrey pitcher for mistaking this discussion forum for some kind of online source catalog.......be my guest!
    Sic 'im rusty! :^)

• baymee
    12 years ago

Rusty is digging up old gold. Jim's post was 9 months ago !!!

• joem462
    8 years ago

I have a 17 hp lawn boss will not start battery is ok turning slow then stop

• baymee
    8 years ago

A few thoughts for such a general question. Are the valves adjustable? Might need adjustment. Battery might not be as good as you think. Was it tested? Maybe the starter is going bad.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?