Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cozzyman

Craftsman Mower 18HP B&S - Odd Starting Problem

cozzyman
13 years ago

Hello - I see a lot of people on here seem to know these mowers pretty well, and I am having a strange problem with this one. It is model number 917.254410 - probably early to mid 90's (I inherited it with the house several years ago). I have no problems replacing things, and have kept her running each season, but now am a bit baffled...

The battery has been running down this year - every couple of mows, I have to charge it. The Battery Discharging light does come on intermittently, but not all the time. Then a few days ago, it wouldn't start at all - not so much as a click when you turn the key. Figured the battery was dead, so put the charged one in (I have two). When I went to connect the NEG terminal (POS was done first), the starter engaged - and the key was off. Played around, and the key wouldn't start or stop the motor - so installed a new switch (I had a new one and a new solenoid sitting in my shed). While I was at it, I put the new solenoid in, and wired it like the old one (they looked very similar).

Now, the key will turn and put the lights on, but won't engage the starter. I can jump the solenoid terminals and get it to start, and the key will turn it off. Starter looks good, solenoid is new, ignition is new - what am I missing here? Any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks -

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH