Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Muffler replacement advice needed MTD tractor

Posted by drphi (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 17:20

I am going to be replacing an engine in an MTD Lawn Tractor (MODEL 771) which will require me to replace the muffler.

Before getting into the job I would like some advice/information from someone whos been there - on the connection between the muffler and the exhaust pipe. The parts diagram only shows the pipe fitting into a hole in the muffler. There are no clamps or bolts to seal the pipe to the muffler.

So I have a couple of questions before I launch.
1) Am I seeing this correctly or is there some other part that I am not seeing?
2) Is this a tight fit is any "cement" or anything added to seal the pipe and the muffler?
3) The muffler that I will be removing has a good deal of rust on it. Is it possible to separate the old muffler without destroying the exhaust pipe?

Any other ticks, traps or techniques would be appreciated in making the separation work without destroying the exhaust pipe - WD-40, heat, prayer before I start hitting it with a hammer.

I know this has been done before but Ive tried several searches and googles and no hits.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

DRP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Muffler replacement advice needed MTD tractor

We in the music trade have a saying--"If you don't know how the music goes, play it by ear!" Or: "Hum a few bars, and we'll fake it."

If your engine is a Briggs, the usual muffler placement is to a threaded "nipple" that screws into the block, beside the carburetor. When i have to replace an engine, i usually have to go to a hardware store and buy pieces of threaded galvanised pipe, same size as the one that was on the engine. You can buy elbows, sleeves, and pipe, and then cobble up a suitable wxhaust pipe, and screw on a muffler. Threads are the same.
I replaced an engine last week. Was on a Craftsman lawn tractor. The original engine was an OHV, the replacement was not. When i went to put the muffler on, the kind that fits in front of and below the engine, in a square hole in the frame, the pipe was too short to let it fit. So, i made a patented "Rusty Jones fix", by sawing the pipe in half, and inserting a nice piece of gold colored tubing in between the two pieces. Works great. Looks nice. Doesn't leak or make noise. I have found, if ya want to succeed in this business, ya have to be tricky, and flexible!
And, the hammer is a last resort, to be used only on removing flywheels, or pounding the toes of somebody who wants to watch, and is always in the way! ;0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here