Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmya_gw

5hp tecumseh engine too much compression

jimmya
9 years ago

I have this engine without start motor that I can hardly pull, is there some way to reduce the compression so an old man can start it? lol
Thank,
Jimmy Alpha

Comments (9)

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Possibly. What is your model and spec number?

• jimmya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The engine has no data plate, but it came off a Sears 536-909400 snow thrower. I understand it's a 5hp from the net, and a Tecumseh point kit fit like a ducks foot in the mud. Hence I feel it's a Tecumseh? lol

Engine runs like a top, just harder to pull than the 6.5hp I put on the snow thrower.

I'm hoping to replace a like new Clinton on an old "Merry Tiller' with it, and save the Clinton just to have as I have Clinton ties.

Thanks for any help...
    Jim A

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Look for a 143.xxxxxx number on the engine.
    That's the Tecumseh prefix for "Sears" engines and can often be crossed for the specific Tec engine.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Your engine may have a compression release issue, which could be internal or from an excessive valve gap. Is there points in this? Could you be dealing with a timing issue? There were snow king engines based off both the small HS frame and medium H frame. Post a pic if you can't find the number. Of course, you will need to rig up an air box. Another option seeing as though this is a snow engine, maybe it has the provisions for an electric start.

• gator_rider2
    9 years ago

I think needed carbon removed if hard to pull rope when builds up raise compression high hard to pull and brake rope.

• rcbe
    9 years ago

OP - Gator Rider2 makes a good point about carbon buildup in that older Tecumseh 5HP engine cyl chamber.... such could make it much harder to crank with a rope pull start due to increased compression.
    I have a 5 HP Tec on a chipper/shredder with a rope pull start and it does not pull hard.. starts/runs well.
    Might be worth either running a special additive thru the fuel supply or pulling the head & giving the cyl/piston head a good scraping...

• jimmya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The carbon on piston makes sense as a snow blower engine most likely had choke always partly on in the cold? I'll check it out today Thanks for the hints, I'll post back what I find.
    Jim

• jimmya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Removed .015 to .030 carbon from head and top of piston and now pulls and starts as it should, thanks for the tips! I would never thought of carbon build up, thanks again...
    Please close this thread.
    Jimmya

• rcbe
    9 years ago

we learn from reach other, eh? But Gold Star goes to Gator Rider2 on this particular one... :)
    Hope that old Tec gives you many more years of service.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler