Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralphxyz

Snapper Rear Engine Brake Cable

ralphxyz
11 years ago

I replaced the Clutch Cable (7022449) and now the Brake cable is 6" to long.

I suppose I need to replace the Brake Cable also but am concerned about the length.

What would have happened to the Brake Cable to make it so long?

Model 2812523BVE

Thanks for any suggestions or help,

Ralph

Comments (7)

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

I'm assuming you have a rear-engine rider mower.
    If so, under the seat, on the tube that runs from under the engine area, and the seat and goes to the front of the machine, at the handle bar area, there is a large clamp, with a bolt thru it. If that bolt is loosened, and you yank really hard on the handle bars----you will end up wwith a 2 piece machine!
    therefore, and reversely, if you push hard, it will shorten the wheel base of the machine, and you will have the situation you are now in! HTH: from an owner of like machines, Rusty Jones.

• ralphxyz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow rustyj14, that is interesting!

Do you know what the wheel base measurement should be?

I have been using the RE Snapper with the bulldozer blade and really pushing it hard for a lot of hours though I have been back dragging with it more than pushing but maybe I did shorthen the wheelbase. Thank you!!

Ralph

• ralphxyz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rusty Jones, right on!! The front tube is all of the way back to the stop.

Now there appears to be about 6" of rear tube so what would be the insertion length (wheel base)?

Thanks again!!

Ralph

• mownie
    11 years ago

On the Snappers I am familiar with, The frame length has a direct relationship to blade belt tension.
    In that respect, one would lengthen or shorten the frame (wheel base) until the belt tension is correct.
    If you mainly use this machine for dozer duty, I guess you just need to adjust the frame until you get the proper fit on the brake cable. Beware that once you adjust the frame you might have to go back and adjust your clutch cable again.
    You didn't happen to replace the clutch cable because it appeared to be "stretched", did you?

• ralphxyz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mownie, the Clutch cable snapped at the pedal.

I have a new Brake cable coming so I will make adjustments once I get the cable.

I'll look at the mower belt tension but probale will wait for the Brake cable to do everythingat once.

I can still use the mower for mowing I just have to shift into reverse to stop forward motion and vice versa. Luckily when I replaced the Clutch cable I did not adjust the mower reverse lockout so I can slip in to reverse even whith the mower engaged.

Thanks again evryone.
    Ralph

• walt2002
    11 years ago

"I can still use the mower for mowing"

Better check that soon as there is a chance the deck belt is rubbing against its' self and will self destruct.

Walt Conner

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Yes--any time you shorten the overall length of that main tube--it will cause many problems.
    If you are really using the machine to push dirt around, i'd suggest rigging up something to keep the blows from pushing the tube backwards. That clamp under the seat is good when using the machine as intended, but slamming it into a pile of dirt seems a bit much.
    And, as was advised, shortening or lengthening the wheel base will change things you don't want changed, so beware.
    BT/DT. I learned the hard way! Rusty J.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?