Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman mower won't stay running

Posted by hagafmfl Jax, FL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 20:32

I have a Craftsman Riding Mower DYT4000, Model # 917.273621. Briggs & Stratton Intek Twin 24 OHV.
Last week it worked like a champ. This week, not so good.

It will start up but when I let the clutch out, it dies. I have tried it in neutral, forward, reverse, deck -up, deck-down, blades engaged and blades off. Doesn't matter.

As soon as I take my foot off the clutch, it turns itself off. Now, if I push the clutch back in, it revs back up.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman mower won't stay running

Sure do and an easy fix with your excellent description-faulty clutch safety switch. It's mounted on the right hand side of your tractor, with the switch facing up. The clutch rod needs to be moved out of the way to replace this, necessitating the removal of an 1/8" roll pin. Installation is the reverse of removal.

o

Bushleague- your awesome.

So, do I need to hike that mower up in the air to get to this part or just remove the hood?

I am new at this but I am a quick study. Might be back to ask you more questions.

From your response, it seems like this might be something simple and easy to do - I just need to remove the 1/8" roll pin, move the clutch rod, and then flip the safety switch off. Right?

Any specific tools necessary that I might not have sitting around the house?

o

Another possibility is the seat switch is bad, misadjusted or disconnected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here