Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Fuel pump installation and hose connections?

rustyj14
11 years ago

I have a B&S engine, 12 h.p. vertical shaft, in an older Simplicity lawn tractor. It originally had a Koehler in it, but that was replaced by the Briggs. And, it had no fuel pump, and the fuel tank was under the seat and rear fenders.

A fuel tank was rigged up in front of the engine, with the hose going down to the carb, and with a fuel shut-off valve in the line.

Now, i am attempting to reconnect the original fuel tank, so i bought one of those black plastic fuel pumps, the one with three tubes in/on the body, and a little copper screen in the round part. And naturally, because i didn't have any idea of what goes where, the new pump package didn't have any directions in it!

I know how to get the pulse action, by hooking up to the oil fill tube. But I need to know where the tubes are connected to the pump. Can anybody send me a sketch of what goes where? I'll be forever grateful.

Rusty J.

Comments (6)

• mownie
    11 years ago

Your pump may be mounted differently but no matter.
    If you can print this picture just turn the printed page until it matches the orientation of your pump.

{{gwi:319028}}

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wowie, Mownie!! You got me off the hook, so to say! I printed the picture, and tomorrow i'll get it all connected and finished! Thanks to the wonders of the modern world! And the wonders of this web-site, and many others! Sort of an educating process.
    A man was here yesterday and asked me why i--at the age of almost 88, was still messing with mowers, etc. I told him, I knew younger guys who sat down at age 65, and were Gonzo in a year, or less!
    Rusty J.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And, wouldn't ya just know it---today, a man brought in his very harassed Craftsman tractor and---yep--it has an identical fuel pump, all connected! And, i had just finished connecting the pump i bought, as per your instructions! WOO-HOO! RJ

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it starts and runs well! But, now it won't move. I'm afeared something else is wrong with it.
    Tmorrow is another day--going bluegrassin' tonight.

When i sold the tractor to the man, it all worked well. But--he thinks he can leave things like that tractor sit outside, uncovered, un-protected from weather, winter and summer.
    but, tomorrow i have another one to get running, a much newer, treated badly, Craftsman Garden tractor, the one with the bolt-on back wheels, a Kohler Twin cylinder, with no spark. From what i have seen of the owners' other lawn tractors--this one hasn't been treated very good either!RJ

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, today i got started on the large Craftsman garden tractor. I thought it was a twin Koehler, but its only one cylinder. But--i found one of the ignition coils not bolted down, just laying there. got that fixed. Air filter real dirty. I'll get a new one tomorrow. The owner had installed a very large fuel filter on it, and that didn't work so i put a smaller red one on it, and it starts good now. I drove it all around, even mowed a little, but then found the brakes don't work, the hard way--i ran it up a hilly bank to stop. I'll fix it, just takes some work. Owner hasn't learned the facts: You can't let them sit outside in the rain, you shouldn't allow anybody else to use it, those machines aren't a side-show machine, and a whole bunch of other truisms! RJ

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

An update on the previously mentioned C-man tractor. I was up at the Fire Hall for work night, when my wife called and said the man was here for that big C-man tractor. I got home, and he said it won't start, and the brakes don't work. I told him i'm not finished with it.
    I told him how the brakes work, and it isn't a matter of squirting oil on the brake mechanism. Also told him i had other problems today. So he went back home. ( I also told him his main problem is allowing his 9 year old Grand-son to use it!) RJ

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County