Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duckgun

husqvarna 22-54 charging system eratic

duckgun
10 years ago

husk mod 279090 -40h7770241e1 050301yg74034 22 hp els for several years now, mostly noticed at nite when plowing snow and turn head lites on the rpms change and lites go dim and cause stalling of motor unless i switch them off.this last a few min maybe,then the lights seem to be extremely brite and the amp gage will pop way over to the + buried.then they seem to go normal till i stop and use again.this week i took battery to run my old cub 147 and drained it. so reinstalled in husk and hooked up my battery charger,when i started the husk sensed a momentary difference in rpm.but runs fine good engine rpms , then the amp gage showed no charge but does register a load [loss] like lites or pto.what can i check?thanksDave Don

Comments (9)

• duckgun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

with a sheepish grin,i went out to change oil and replace a blown bulb,for the hey of it i tugged &wiggled bat connection well it's charging but the issue of very brite lite momentarily and what i described was with two battery change outs,this would occur with any load put on it,and connections are otherwise shiny this time i must have done a fast replace and not torqued the bolts as they would normally be,every snow season i install a home made plow set up with a 12 volt winch for lift.this requires juice and always works except when intermittent voltage spike occurs any ideas?

• mownie
    10 years ago

Can you tell us about the voltage regulator on this engine please?
    Specifically.......does the voltage regulator feature 2 yellow wires and a single red wire?
    Or, does the regulator feature a single red wire and a single green wire?

• duckgun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it has two yellow and one" red"? looks maybe orange.but 3 wires total.

This post was edited by duckgun on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 8:10

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Your 2nd post is confusing. It sounds like you discovered the problem and then lost it?

I'd check the connections at-
    Key switch. Remove the plug, clean & reinstall-
    Fuse
    The 3 wire connector at the VR.
    Could be a flaky key switch too.

• mownie
    10 years ago

On this series engine, that configuration indicates the 10 or 16 Amp charging system (10 or 16 depending on flywheel magnet size).
    The first thing to check on this system when "irregularities" in charging output happen is to make certain that the regulator mounting screw is sound and tight.
    To check for "soundness" requires that the screw be physically removed so you can check for signs of corrosion that may have formed where the screw touches the regulator and the engine.
    You also must check that the engine mounting bolts are sound and tight. If the engine mounting bolts serve as the only electrical connection between the engine block and the frame, looseness in those bolts can cause several issues, including possible no crank and charging system fluctuations.
    You also need to check for loose fit or corrosion where the red wire of the regulator connects to the chassis harness wire.
    Another point to check for trouble is loose fit or corrosion at the key switch terminals and connector body. Also inspect each rivet that fastens the key switch terminals to the key switch rear plate. These rivets often are ignored or overlooked when trouble shooting.
    Check those things and get back to us. If further checking is needed we will go from there.

• duckgun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks moving daughter to college will check rest of items soon.if voltage regulator is problem any idea price for a new one?

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Google-
    Briggs 691185

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    10 years ago

I just bought one on Amazon for $30, it didn't say Briggs or have the part number on the side, but was otherwise identical and works fine. Briggs wants over twice that.

Good luck,

Ev

• duckgun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks mownie and bill &exmar saw one google 21 free ship.reading up on search others have fried batteries etc .will do the connection [ground ]checks but since it is intermittent and i have to mow with it i better get one.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks