Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolkc

Kohler 26 hp.. surge at full throttle

coolkc
12 years ago

my dad has a DYS 4500 with a 26 hp Kohler motor PS-SV735-0017. iwas called over to fix and was told it wasnt idling right.

The air filter was cloged/ caked with dust. that i thought was the prob. installed new filter and at first wouldnt crank.. then it fired up ran at low idle with no responce in throttle till at mid throttle setting. at full throttle it surges .. is it a fuel supply problem, did notice the fuel filter only had a tad of fuel at bottom of filter , is this supose to be full of fuel.

confused,

Kev

Comments (6)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

The fuel filter doesn't necessarily fill with fuel. Sometimes very little is visible. I think before we go further, please clarify some of your terminology. A no crank condition is when you turn the key and the engine is not turning over. No starter engagement. Is this what you mean? While you are at it, verify that the vent in the fuel cap is clear. You could also remove the fuel filter and run some fuel out from behind the filter- taking a sample to check for water/ debris.

• coolkc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

motor turns , starter is working. Fuel problem, there is no throttle control at low setting, it does idle. there is no responce in throttle till at mid control. When set at full throttle motor is surging high then low rpm but not eratic. took fuel cap off there are 3 holes and 1 in center under cap look clear did not see a vent hole on top of cap.. can u test if its the cap with the fuel cap off.

• rcbe
    12 years ago

if engine air filter was that dirty, prolly need to start at the edge - change engine oil/filter, dump/replace fuel with fresh including dumping any in gas can.Flush gas can.

Remove engine cooling shroud sheet metal - clean fins, repair any damaged wires.
    If you replace engine fuel filter, make SURE you refit with properly spcified kohler filter.

Drain/clean carb - flush with carb cleaner rattlecan and compressed air. replace any disassembled gaskets - do not re-use.
    Make sure fuel tank is clean of old fuel and clear of any trash at bottom. Check fuel tank cap for vent OK.
    Check both throttle and choke cable adjustments per manual. Blow all exterior dirt off engine/tractor with compressed air. DO NOT use hose or pressure washer.
    Repsot back if still trouble.

• mownie
    12 years ago

Carburetor needs a thorough clean out including probing all passages and blowing out with compressed air.
    Also has been at least one case where the rubber tip on the fuel solenoid plunger seemed to have swollen and was restricting fuel flow.

• coolkc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

alright thanks for the info, gona pull carb this weekend . .plus oil change and fuel filter

• tomplum
    12 years ago

If I didn't find any appreciable debris behind the filter, I would pop the flywheel and check the key on this engine first. A bunch of these had flywheels that weren't tightened securely.

Sponsored