Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flh69

gator blade ?

flh69
11 years ago

I have a JD LT180 with a 42C deck with oem mulching blades.This mower is at a cabin that we only get to on the weekends so sometimes the grass is wet and/or fairly tall when we mow.I was wondering if there are gator blades that would fit this deck and if so, would they be a better choice than the oem blades?

Comments (8)

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Yes, Gators would be a good blade for that deck from what I've seen. 96-340 is the OEP part #.

• flh69
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Would it be better to use those gator blades with the mulch plug or would it be better to use the side discharge?

• twelvegauge
    11 years ago

flh69, Gator blades are fantastic - I've used them for years. HOWEVER, mulching blades don't do their best work in tall grass, and if I were frequently cutting 3" or more off, I would not use mulchers. While I'm not familiar with your particular deck, Gators work best for me using just the side discharge - the plug causes too much backup and bogs the engine down.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

You may be able to get away using the cover on your deck, but verify that you have good clearance. Normally they are meant to be used w/o the cover. Deere decks that have Tri-cycler kits installed can be damaged by the Gator type blades.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

I can't speak to using the gators without a mulching plug, but I was not happy with their performance for mulching. I never mowed more than 1/3 and they always left a small windrow (is that the right term?) on the plug side of the deck. The OEM mulching blades performed much better for me. The new owner was very happy getting an extra set of (gator) blades with most of the paint still on them. :)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

I replaced some worn factory blades on my old Simplicity mower with Gators. No big difference.

• flh69
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My oem mulching blades work fairly well but sometimes the grass will get a lttle too high and or wet but I have no choice because I can only get there on the weekends. Also the leaves will be falling before long and I use this mower to mulch them up.I was just wondering if I may be better off to use gator blades, if nothing else to use them for the leaves?

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

IMHO for what you plan on doing as far as mowing goes O.E.M and gator blades work pretty much the same they will not mulch tall grass (pretty much anything above 3") even i side discharge when my grass gets real tall and i use a beast of a mower which is a Kubota ZD331. Not very many mower (none that i have seen so far) will mulch tall grass. Now the leaves is a different story.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kubota gator blade specs

Sponsored