Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asand_gw

Craftsman LT2000 won't move

asand
15 years ago

Hi guys,

I just finished replacing the blades and one mandrel shaft/housing on my Craftsman LT2000 42" deck. I was making a couple of test laps when the mower quit moving. It didn't die and the blades were still spinning, but no movement forward or backward. It also makes no difference what position the pin at the back of the mower (out to drive, in to push or vice versa) is in...in either position I can push the mower. It also makes a "whining" sound when I push it now that I don't recall it making before (sort of like pushing a radio controlled car around?). Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much in advance, Andy

Comments (13)

• wavinwayne
    15 years ago

Does it have a drive belt? Belt slipped off a pulley perhaps? Or the transmission could have died.

• asand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To be honest, I'm not too familiar with these things. Would all models have some sort of drive belt? Also, would there be any signs/sounds of the transmission going out or would it just stop working? I didn't notice anything odd or hear any metal on metal grinding sounds or anything before it stopped.

• tomplum
    15 years ago

An easy check- inspect if each rear wheel has a key installed between it and the axle shaft. One pops out- it won't drive.

• kirk39
    15 years ago

Have you tried purging the transmission. Sometimes for no explicable reasons air gets trapped. See manual for purging

• asand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll try to check all of the above to see what I can find. What exactly is the "key" between the rear tire and the axle shaft? Is it something that would need to be replaced, or just put back into position? Thanks

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

The key is a square piece of hardened steel that is inserted into the axle, then the wheel hub is slipped over it and the axle, then the necessary fastener is installed to keep the wheel on. This could be either a bolt, or a spring clip. If the main drive belt, from the engine to the rear end of the tractor broke, you won't move, nor will you hear a whining or grinding noise!
    And, if the transmission has failed, you may or may not hear any whining or grinding noises!

• m1garand
    15 years ago

Check posting "Craftsman LT 2000 has hickups", it may help.

• larry1960
    15 years ago

not familiar with the lt2000, was given a lt1000 that would run but not move. had to pull handle in rear to push onto trailer. when i got it home i unloaded it and put handle in. checked to see if i could push it and could not which indicated to me that the transmission was engaged. started it and still did not move, checked belts and were okay, checked keys and okay. the lever on top of trans. was not fully engaged towards front of mower. had to tap with a hammer and it moved about a 1/4 inch. started mower and moved control handle and away i went. the lever was dirty and i think is spring loaded. mine does not have spring on it to pull into the engaged position and was not quite going to where it should
    just my thoughts
    larry

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

If it was moving and then quit, I wouldn't think it was an axle key. They only tend to be a problem (falling out) when you have the rear wheel(s) off.
    I'd get on my hands & knees and look at the drive belt from the engine to the transmission first!

Post the Sears 917.xxxxxx number, so we can figure out WHICH transmission you have!

You can go to the Sears sight and see exploded views and possibly even download an owners manual.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com

• busymoyer_aol_com
    13 years ago

I took the rear tire off to add air, now the transmission will not engage. Do I need to take the tire off to see if the key came out?

• tomplum
    4 years ago

Gees I hope old busymoyer hasn't been waiting by the bum wheel with a flashlight the last 8 years...

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

Roflmao !

Sponsored