Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dooley_of_gw

Snow blower question again ..opinions wanted

dooley
10 years ago

Still up in the air over this....

Our driveway is about 1,000 feet long and graveled (1/4" road crush) that is well packed.

Last year we bought a 30" walk behind mainly for around the yard but I also ended up using it to clear the driveway in a pinch (mainly so we could walk it) until the neighbor was able to come with his reciprocating tractor to finish the job. The neighbor is about our age and is looking to retire and spend the winters in a warmer climate , so I don' t know how much longer we can rely on him.

50 years ago I would have looked at this as a great way to keep in shape over the winter. Now my concern is do I have enough nitro with me to make the chest pains go away.:D

It takes about 4 trips to clear driveway and the damn thing gets hung up on the packed tire groves or catches the banks and wants to swing into them. Then it's a struggle to keep it going straight.

I'm looking at getting a Bercomac mounted on our Cadet SLTX 1054 but with the blower , chains and wheel weights , it's a fair chunk of change , so here's my dilemma.

Would the blower handle the driveway and would it cut through the packed tire groves? We have a tendency not to clear the driveway until it needs it , but just drive in and out over the light snow falls.

How hard is it to lift manually or would the electric winch be a better investment.

Opinions appreciated.

Comments (11)

• ericwi
    10 years ago

It sounds like your driveway is fairly level, which allows you to "drive in and out" over and inch or two of fresh snow. But when that happens, you end up with tire ruts, and the ruts freeze over night. If it snows again, enough to require clearing, then you have to deal with the ruts as well as the fresh snow. This would be an issue if the driveway is cleared with a plow, or if it is cleared with a snowblower. I use a 24 inch snowblower to clear our sidewalk and driveway, but we have 150 feet of sidewalk, and the driveway is about 25 feet long, so this project is less daunting than what you are facing. You could always park your car at the foot of the driveway, and use the snowblower to clear a foot path from the house to the car. That would simplify the snow removal issue, save money, and you will get a bit of exercise, walking back and forth.

• justalurker
    10 years ago

We get a fair amount of snow here and I've learned that once you blow snow sitting down you'll NEVER walk blowing snow again. It's just that simple.

Your SLTX1054 is a lightweight lawn tractor so traction will need to be addressed. Wheel weights and/or suitcase weights in the back with (2 link) chains and possibly liquid loading the rear tires will be necessary. Get the electric lift option.

As soon as there's sufficient snow to feed the blower get out there and do the job. Then there will be no wheel ruts. The job will go much quicker than a walk behind and much quicker than you realize.

Blowers are pricey but it's a good investment over the long haul. The Berco has an advantage in that it can be installed on numerous LTs and GTs so when your Cub dies you'll only need to buy a mounting kit to install the Berco on your next tractor. Since you're in Canada parts and service for your Berco will be EZ.

This post was edited by justalurker on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 12:29

• always_beezee
    10 years ago

Why not just buy the neighbors' tractor?

• dooley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why not just buy the neighbors' tractor?

Because it's a fairly new JD 4WD reciprocating and imagine , if he wanted to sell it , it's probably worth $60,000 +. :D

• mownie
    10 years ago

Enlighten me. Just what does the term "reciprocating" mean in this context? Are you referring to the engine?

• justalurker
    10 years ago

It means... you make the payments and the tractor starts ;)

• dooley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ooppss..ARTICULATING (swings around in the middle)..my bad..!!

• rcbe
    10 years ago

hit's gots TWO BIGG drive axles, Mownie.. (and bust's 'em , too - at least my Uncle Cleve's shore did - they wus more jd engineers running around out there on the farm than gophers!! :) )

• mownie
    10 years ago

Yeah, I know what it means, and I was wondering if that was the word dooley was fishing for.
    I have heard a few Archie Bunkerisms in my time :^)

• dooley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"I have heard a few Archie Bunkerisms in my time :^)"
    Could also be refer to as " a Homer Simpson moment" .D

• andyma_gw
    10 years ago

You need either a 1 ton 4wd truck or a compact utility tractor. If you get a lot of snow, a snow blower is better than a plow.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks