Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johncini7

Carburetor keeps flooding 1 minute after starting

johncini7
11 years ago

I have a Briggs and Stratton 18.5 hp engine. The carburetor needed cleaning because it wasn't getting enough gas through one of the jets. I had to pull the choke out half way or it would keep surging. After I cleaned the carb and put it back together, I started it and within one minute it died because of the over flowing gas from the top of the carb holes. I thought it was a problem with the need valve cause the gas was over flowing. I went and bought a new needle valve and put it in and the same problem occurs. I checked the float for holes and it is ok. I thought some dirt might have got in the seat so I blew the entire carb out. Every orfice. Same problem. I went back to the parts department and they pressure tested the seat with the new needle valve. They told me the seat was bad. I thought that was strange since the problem only started occuring after I disassembled the carb. I bought a new upper half of the carb. I put it on and it still floods. Somehow I keep thinking that the needle valve is not stopping the gas flow. I have rebuilt many carbs and never had a problem before.

Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• mownie
    11 years ago

Without the model and type numbers from the engine itself there is no way (for us) to determine what carb is being discussed.
    Given the info you have posted leads me to suspect that the float is operating at a high level than specified and thus is never actually seating the needle valve.
    Post the actual Briggs Model Number and Type Number from the engine itself.

• johncini7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The model number of the Briggs and Stratton motor is 461777 and the type is 0137EI.

The carb part number is 693479 (4 screw fuel pump mount)

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Remove the float, stick it in a can of gasoline, and let it set until next day. You might find that the
    'float doesn't! The float can develop a leak all by itself, and will drive ya to the poor house from buying everything except a new float!

• johncini7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok Rusty, sounds good. I will take the float out of the carb and stick it in a can of gasoline. Should I put a weight on the float so it is totally submerged into the gasoline? Let me know. I will do it. What ever you say.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Sure, you can weight the float. you could very well have a seat issue too. Here's the thing with the inlet valve. The wire that retains the valve to the float can sometimes bind on the tower that the float attaches to. So, position the wire so that it is furthest away from the tower. Know that the vent holes are open as well./

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Also flush the fuel line.
    When disassembling, you'll often break loose "chunks of crud" that were attached to the inside of the fuel line.
    If it's deteriorated at all, replace the line.

• johncini7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To tomplum.......I don't believe I have a seat issue because I purchased a new upper halve of the carb which has the seat in it. I put a new need valve and installed it into the old lower half of the carb then I started the engine and I had the same promlem.........flooding through the carb top air vents after 1 minute of running.

My particular carb does not have a wire holding in the needle valve. It has a groove that slides into the float.

• johncini7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To Bill Kapaun........ I did flush the line real good. Twice. All the way from the tank to the carb. The fuel line is not cracked or rotted.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Ah yes, I see which carb you have now. Had you also installed a new pump kit?

• johncini7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To Tomplum No I took the pump apart and checked the gaskets and springs. Everything looked ok. I figured if the pump was bad it would be pumping not enough gas, Correct...................Not more gas!

Have you ever heard of a pump being defective by pumping too much gas? If so I will replace the entire pump with a new one.

• Savino
    10 years ago

Johncini7 I was searching for the same problem you have/had. Did you figure out what it was? I need to fix mine and it would be great to see what the problem was?

Thanks
    Ray

• Dave Polmanteer
    3 years ago

fuel cap not venting

• HU-611094006
    2 years ago

Dave, how did you come to the conclusion it was the fuel cap.?

Sponsored