Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_mi

Engine won't start.

john_mi
12 years ago

Hi there,

I know this is a little off topic but I hope you will help me anyway.

I have a log splitter with a 650 Series B&S engine. I tried to start it for the first time this season and it wouldn't start. After pulling the cord many times, I used starting fluid, which made it run for only a couple seconds each time. There is no choke on this engine. I disconnected the fuel line and it wasn't plugged. I completely wore myself out (not as young as I used to be).

Am I just not able to pull the cord fast enough?

I had the exact thing happen with a power washer last year and so I donated it to a non-profit.

Thanks in advance!

John

Comments (5)

• rcbe
    12 years ago

If no choke, does it have a primer bulb that one hasta pump a few times before pulling the starter rope? Also make sure your throttle is cracked to around mid-throttle.
    If still no joy, then most likely trash or old fuel has jelled up in the carb requiring removal/take apart/good cleaning of same. Use new gaskets when re-installing - take plenty of pix during process to help get put back together right.

In future use, run the engine dry of fuel when shutting it down or install an inline fuel shutoff valve.

PS: LOSE the starting fluid - fast way to ruin a small air cooled engine - replace with rattlecan carb cleaner for start assist purposes...

• john_mi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the help, rcbe.

I'll get some gaskets and take the carb apart.

Is mid-throttle better than full for starting?

One thing that baffles me, my throttle isn't connected to anything but the governor.

John

• baymee
    12 years ago

Then you can't start at less than full RPM, just like most lawnmowers today. No problem.

Taking the carb apart is OK, but you must remember to clean out all the small orifices, especially the main jet.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

this is what I do and it works 90% of the time?? CHECK the OIL first! remove any old gas (over two months old IMO). I don't take nothing apart till I am sure I can't get it to run using carb. cleaner as primer several times. First I remove the plug, ground it with the spark plug wire hooked up and see it I got good spark? Now that I got spark I blast some carb. cleaner down the hole for 3 or 5 seconds. Pull the rope couple times blow out any excess. spray and clean the spark plug and put it in hook up the wire. The combustion chamber is now primed.

Then I remove the air filter, inspect it, and spray 2 to 3 second blast of carb cleaner right down the carb., raise the throttle and pull the rope, should fire off the carb. cleaner with two or three pulls. If it takes off and runs off gas I am done, if not I try to prime it several more times before I remove the carb. bowl. and spray the needle and seat, main jet, and any small passages I can get to.
    I also have plugged the gas line due to all the gas running out the carb. with the bowl off. if I had gas in the gas tank and it was mounted above the carb.(note I now know I am getting gas to the carb.)

Now I got to be careful when re-installing the bowl and make sure the o-ring (if newer) or gasket don't get pinched causing leak after I reconnected the gas line to the carb.

Then if that don't work after seveal more priming sections I will reluctantly dissassemble the carb. as last resort and only replace gaskets as needed.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

Dump the starting fluid and use carb. cleaner as primer even when it cold outside. Starting fluid IMO mainly for desiels. John your going to have to lean how properly store and to start engines after they have been setting or you will be buying new equipment every other year!.