Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbrooks544

Jet powered Lawn Tractor

jbrooks544
13 years ago

Jet Powered Lawn Tractor This link goes to the original Popsci article

{{gwi:347807}}

A few years ago, R. Bruce McDonald figured it was time to do something unique with his 1966 Cub Cadet. The obvious solution was of course to remove the stock 12 HP Kohler engine and replace it with a Garrett GTP 30-67 gas turbine.

{{gwi:347808}}

R. Bruce McDannald is not new to tinkering with things. 60 years ago, when he was 12 years old he built a Go-Cart with an old cast-iron, hand-crank Briggs & Stratton motor. For his latest project, Bruce adapted the guts of a large generator to take 8,000 RPM off the turbine, and with the help of a multi-groove belt, reduced the RPM down to 3,600 on the input side of his original hydrostat drive. He had to make or design many parts including his custom exhaust. The project took him about 150 hours over three years.

{{gwi:347810}}

After spending $4,000 on the engine and another $4,000 on other parts, it still has the same performance it did when he started. But having a gas turbine in your tractor that runs at 112 dB? Well, for the garage tinkerer, that is priceless.

Mr. McDonald will not be cutting grass with his baby but will take it to the Tractor Museum in Vista, CA and other âÂÂoutdoorâ shows. Listen for that turbine screaming.

{{gwi:347811}}

{{gwi:347812}}

Comments (11)

• canguy
    13 years ago

112db??? The neighbors would love that on Sunday morning. Nice craftsmanship but why?

• woodsrunner55
    13 years ago

Because he could!!

• mownie
    13 years ago

I agree with the comment "because he could", or even because he wanted to.
    This kind of stuff should really be categorized as "mechanical/technological art".
    I'm having more problems with the claim of a measly "150 hours" in the project.

• kompressor
    13 years ago

All I want to know is whether he's going to run Gator blades on that sucker or not?

• bushleague
    13 years ago

That engine is a 'tique, axial flow compressor and is capable of a 30 gal/hr. burn at idle. At least I know there's something louder than my CRF450R! I think 1500 hours is more accurate.

• larso1
    13 years ago

Well, if everyone is throwing out numbers, I'd guess more like 800- to 1000-hrs. Time to check out the power unit, modify the motor mounts, fab up the coupling from the output shaft to the trans with special brackets. Then there's cleaning and painting, and modifying the electrical and fuel systems/connections. Fine tuning the whole unit. Seems to me a reasonable number is 7-hours a day, six days a week, over a five to six month period, or in the neighborhood of 800- to 1000-hrs. But it also depends on the level of his abilities to do all of the work, or have the right people to contribute specialty knowledge and services. Bottom line, too many unknowns I guess....

• marineguy
    13 years ago

That little turbine would have been so much more fun installed on a boat.
    I really can't think of anything more stupid than a turbine-powered lawn tractor. If he could cut grass with the blades spinning at 30,000 rpm on a standard Warner PTO--that would have been something (talk about mulching), but he can't even mount a deck to this thing. Boring.
    He must look pretty ridiculous at the airport filling his 5 gallon gas can with Jet-A.

• larso1
    13 years ago

Yah, it's a strictly novelty item in a garden tractor show, just like a jet engine powered dragster at a NHRA event.

• rdaystrom
    13 years ago

jbrooks544, Great job and a neat project. I admire your ability. To you other guys that are detractors. Let's see something that unique and cool you have made. Marineguy, you called it stupid, ridiculous, and boring?? Good grief. Is that all you can say? I guess your comment qualifies you to be this word... moron.

• measure_twice
    13 years ago

Very cool! A beautiful installation job to fit within the original hood. "the guts of an old generator" - I wonder what the gen RPMs were to manage 8,000 rpm input?

You can see more jet-powered garden tractors in various brands on youtube. I have an old Bolens, so I like the Flyin' Bolens pulling tractor.

• duke88
    13 years ago

Yes sir , I guess anything other than a GT225 is pretty stupid....right marine guy ? LOL...by the way how you doing marine guy ?

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington