Houzz Logo Print
caption

engine won't fire

caption
9 years ago

Hi all, I have craftsman 18.5 HP, mod# 31p777
type 0299e1
code 041004ze.

Fuel is flowing down to carb,( gravity fed) I have spark, engine turns over, but won't start, backfires when trying to start.
Fuel cap not blocked, put some fuel in carb, still no firing.

I cut grass for approx 45 mins, idled down to check grass catchers, and it cut out after a few seconds before the above problem.
Any ideas?

Comments (7)

• optsyeagle
    9 years ago

When you put fuel in carb and no fire, did it give you a few pops or did it give you nothing?

If nothing, I would think that the motor is flooding, probably from a leaking inlet needle or malfunctioning float in the carburetor.

To test, remove the spark plug and crank over the motor 10 or 15 times. Be aware of the fire hazard when running this test, since we are trying to blow out the liquid fuel that might be in the intake chamber and combustion chamber. Keep incandescent work lights away. Anyway, crank it over then re-insert the spark plug and try to start it very quickly. It might or might not need choke for this.

Now, if it start up, then you were probably flooding. If it starts up and dies on you in a few minutes then it would need a carb overhaul to address the inlet malfunction. If it starts and runs fine, then it may only need a manual fuel shut off valve installed between the fuel tank and filter, to stop the fuel flow during storage. In either of the above cases it will need it's oil changed since that liquid fuel would be leaking into your crankcase as well.

If it doesn't start up, then it may not be flooding and I unfortuneately, do not have any more ideas .

This post was edited by optsyeagle on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 12:53

• caption
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks optsyeagle, I will try that.

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Yes, watch over the possibility of fuel in the oil as stated above. From where I sit, the more likely scenario is a problem under the valve cover. IE a loose rocker stud, valve seat out of place etc.

• caption
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks tomplum, is that complicated to do?

• walt2002
    9 years ago

I would look under the valve cover as said above. I can send you a Service Manual for your engine If you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me, engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

• tomplum
    9 years ago

Initially remove the 4 bolts that retain the cover and report what you see. Note that some oil may drip out below.

• hippy
    9 years ago

If it is backfiring when you try to start it you have a timing issue.

First check the fly wheel key to see it it had sheared throwing the engine out of time.

Then check the intake and exhaust Valve lash.
    .003-.005 for intake and .005-.007 for the exhaust.