Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanwedding

old 18hp Lowes transmission problem

Friend gave us his old Lowes 18hp riding mower....

It s been sitting in his toolshed for at least 10 years.... Front tires dry rotted. So before spending any real money on it ---here is the problem.

Hubby got engine started okay. Its hanging off ground in garage right now cause no good front tires. Guess will have to spend the $80 buck plus for tires for it to actually "ride it"

He described the problem as trans loose. Neutral hard to find. Hubby said to find out what gear it is in ....you have to let off the clutch...

SO GUYS what do you all think problem is....Worth working on or even spending $80 for two new front tires and a new battery,too???

Please all chime in

Thank yall

Jean

Comments (7)

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Sounds like you'll be pouring sand in a rat-hole! They never fill up. The rat-hole, that is.
    Is the transmission a geared type? If so, it might need some cleaning around the case, and other places.
    Check on Craigs list. Some folks are always selling something that will fit somebody's machine. Check places that fix lawn tractors-they might be tossing tires that are better than yours.
    Make sure the thing runs and drives! If it is a standard transmission, and it drives, you might get lucky. Remove the front tires, saw them in half if you need to, then mount the wheels and see if the tractor will move, and go along, even on the bare wheels. Do this, before investing in new tires! And, if you buy new tires, have some place mount them for you. They are "buggers" to mount properly! They won't need to be balanced, no matter what the tire guy says. Good luck! Rusty Jones, The Mower Man.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, with out a lot more to go on ie equipment #s, and much more investigative work on your part- there is not a way to really diagnose what is happening. It may be a sink hole as Rusty says. It would nice if a person could have a good usable tractor for a couple hundred and some elbow grease though.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We need this mower for a backup cause we have too much grass to cut for our age LOLand too many irons in the fire
    TAG ON BACK SAYS---remember mower looks good yall
    Lowes 4218-1800 code 6063 serial #822259
    tag on back says... White MFG or dealer for parts

Hello all. Got one new tire on its front," BIG O "only had one in stock and it was a good price...
    Unfortunately the lady quoted me $17 for just putting old one back on rim....Go figure...
    BUT some nice local shop(down the street) put back on the other one on the rim...free. Now that shop has gained my business....
    He bought a new battery at a small local auto parts( so if Lowes mower not running great etc he can use that battery elsewhere.
    Hubby has been riding it around the yard. Hard to get used to, he said... He is used to the new Husq... like when letting off clutch Husq stops....THIS ONE GOES>>> LOL
    The blades are in the mower shop getting sharpened..He put back on the mowing deck. Cause when we got it, That Lowes deck was stored in the Neighbors toolshed upright, for space saving...

Thanks yall so apppreciate you all
    Jean

• tomplum
    11 years ago

If what I am hearing is grabbiness when the clutch is let out- that could be rusty belts and pulleys, a brake that doesn't release quite quick enough etc. The # looks to be an old Noma built machine, which was later eaten by Murray- which was later eaten by Briggs and Stratton. So when you are looking for parts etc, that may help. Best of luck.

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

A full can of PB Blaster, squirted on the rusty joints, will help free up rusty parts.
    I get my share of old machines, and can usually make them run and drive.
    I just bought a Scotts Lawn Tractor, with Kohler engine, and hydro tranny for $50! It had been stored in an old shed for don't know how long, then pushed outside to sit for 2 years, with no covering! Owner said it was junk. So-okay, i gave him junk price!So far--the engine will run, the carb is gummy, front tires might be ok, back ones are. Had chains, 3 blade deck, and a snow plow! And, a grass catcher! Tranny is still a question mark.
    Those who owned it are dumber than a hoe handle-- The daughter ran low on oil in her honda wagon, so she dumped in 2 quarts of brake fluid! Did its job--made the engine stop-forever! MMMM!

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

seems okay now Hubby rode it around for a while cutting some... Just not sweet like the new Husq.....King.....
    Got to stay away from hills etc.... esp me, cause I am not the best driver..... only mowed twice with Husq,,,,,
    I used to mow with a new Lowes I believe a 14 HP back in the late 1980s and early 1990's ... quit the extra mowing stuff and sold trailer and Lowes lawn tractor,
    Later got an old 24 inch Bunton---used that for a short while and later put on brand new new Engine ,etc
    Later and when quit all together gave it to neighbor years ago,he was scared of his hill with the LOWES lawn tractor.. ( later, who gave us the Lowes tractor last week.....
    He has that 1958 Bunton running good....
    Course got to give Hubby credit... he made that 58 Buntons sow 's ear into a silk purse... , first......LOL
    Thanks
    Jean

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Cool. Be safe!

Sponsored