Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sky_king_gw

1996 LX-188 John Deere

sky.king
10 years ago

I had my transmission out for a welding repair to the frame so I turned it upside down to drain all the old oil I could and replaced it with 10W30. Now the transmission growls loudly and won't pull up even a slight grade after about 30mins of mowing plus it's very hot to the touch. Fan is working ok and everything is hooked up properly. Any ideas please. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• User
    10 years ago

Your LX188 has a Tuff Torq K61 Hydrostatic transaxle.

Here's the procedure for changing the oil and purging the air in a TT K61... click here

Is that the procedure you followed? Did you purge the air?

You should have used 5w50 synthetic. Works much better than 10w30 dino oil in these hydros.

• sky.king
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for your response justalurker. I am a little confused about the bypass valve-is that the pull handle in the back that disconnects the wheels for pushing my hand and if so what is the sequence of using that along with the forward and reverse with the wheels off the ground for purging. Thanks again.

• sky.king
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for your response justalurker. I am a little confused about the bypass valve-is that the pull handle in the back that disconnects the wheels for pushing my hand and if so what is the sequence of using that along with the forward and reverse with the wheels off the ground for purging. Thanks again.

• sky.king
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As a follow up to my post, how do you know how long to purge or what is the indication that you have purged enough. Thanks.

• User
    10 years ago

You might need one person to work the rod and another to work the pedals.

The instructions from TT Repeat opening and closing bypass (tow) valve while alternately depressing forward and reverse control pedal(s) are pretty straightforward. I don't know how to improve in them.

"...how do you know how long to purge or what is the indication that you have purged enough"

Step F... Repeat quick starts and panic stops until transaxle gives full response

You're thinking too much... take a deep breath and re-read the instructions.

• wheely_boy
    10 years ago

To an inexperienced person trying to work on one of these hydros, the Tufftorque instructions are really lacking. And here is more proof.

• User
    10 years ago

Technical manuals and documents (service manuals and procedures and schematics) are written for journeyman professional line mechanics/technicians who have the understanding, knowledge, and experience to execute the repair or procedure and not for DIYers. Often steps are left out that the technical writer expects the professional to know. Service manuals and technical procedures are not step by step Fix It for Dummies documents for DIYers.

A manual for taking a dump might not include the specific instruction to pull your pants down cause the technical writer expects you to know that has to be done before sitting down.

If one wants to do it yourself and not screw it yourself one has develop the ability to comprehend technical writing to get what they need out of technical literature. Sometimes information they need isn't there, or it is, but they can't understand it. When you get sick you go to the doctor not a copy of Gray's Anatomy (the book not the TV show).

This post was edited by justalurker on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 11:38

• sky.king
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A good teacher or instructor knows there is no such thing as a dumb question and sarcasm has no place in instruction. It is usually the mark of insecurity.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

yup, sky.king... and yer getting all this on the cheap, right?

• User
    10 years ago

Sky,

I am neither teacher nor instructor nor insecure in my knowledge and experience. I am among those on this forum, and many forums, who offer our knowledge and experience and time at no charge to assist those who ask for help and who (usually) appreciate that we do so.

Those who come here thinking they are entitled to help is another circumstance entirely. You didn't Google change oil in K61 or you'd have had your answer. That leads me to believe that you feel that your time is too valuable to Google for your answer but our time has no value so you want your answer from us. I gave you the link to a concise answer to your question which was understandable to me. If the syntax of the answer confused you, then Tuff Torq has a toll free number and you could have asked them to explain their procedure so you could understand it. Do not hold me responsible for your ignorance

To accomplish anything one needs the tools and the knowledge. Lacking either success is rarely achieved.You could have at least make some effort to help yourself before demanding help and then taking issue with the the way it was provided especially when you expect help for free. Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

The next time you post a question I'll need a purchase order number before I answer.

This post was edited by justalurker on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 2:04

• mownie
    10 years ago

JAL, I know it's not polite to ask about wages, but how much are you getting paid for being a forum member here?
    I don't know what everybody else is getting but my last check from the forum showed I was getting $0.00 per hour. :^)

• User
    10 years ago

mownie,

My last check was for less than that. ;-)

This post was edited by justalurker on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 17:21

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County