Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grassguy1

Ariens vs. Troybilt vs. Craftsman Lawn Tractor

GrassGuy1
12 years ago

I'm looking to buy a new 42" or 46" Lawn Tractor. Anybody have any input/experience to share with the Brands/manufacturers listed here? Thanks,

Comments (5)

• justalurker
    12 years ago

They are all entry level lawn tractors.

Depending on the exact model you're looking at chances are they are all from the same manufacturer with the same or similar components.

A big consideration should be the length of warranty and how good the local service is for that particular brand.

As far as advice... yet another re-post of Slammer's rules...

Slammer's Rules...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.
    (Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I believe the Areins is still built by HOP/EHP/ AYP. Check the modle tag. These were the same people that used to build the majority of the Sears tractors. if the model # under the seat on a Sears starts in 917, it is this company. I think just the little larger ones are yet. The same as Husqvarna btw. As entry level tractors, I think your best bet is the HOP or John Deere. Soon, the $$ comes off seeing as though it is fall. The 42" twin blade decks seem smoother than the 46" twin blade decks.

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

The TroyBilt is made by MTD. The Ariens and SOME Craftsmans (those with the 917 number) are by Husqvarna. The cheapest Ariens does NOT have gauge wheels or any method to add them; unless you have a perfectly smooth and flat lawn this could be a problem. It is my opinion that the Husqvarna products are preferable to the MTD Troybilt.

• GrassGuy1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Folks, thank you for your input. Much appreciated...

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Also, read my treatise on "Local el-cheapo tractors re-visited!" by: Rusty Jones

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?