Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Toro-Wheel-horse Tractor/ mowing deck??

rustyj14
13 years ago

I have here a Toro-Wheel horse garden tractor. I took it in to fix the deck spindle. I had to remove the deck to work on it. (First mistake!) This is one of the older models. Model no: 73423. Serial no: 7900300.

It has the "Attach-o-matic" thing on it. There is a long flat bar that seems to be to raise and lower the deck, but what controls it? It hooks into a slotted area, on the right side of the deck brackets, with a cotter pin.

A thought occured to me--does the engine running, control the movement of that flat raise/ lower bar?

I did manage to get the front of the deck to go into the Attachomatic thing and lock in, but getting that flat bar down, is beyond me, right now! HELP!!

Could it be--when the engine is started, it allows that flat bar to move down, and allowing the deck to go down to where the wheel adjustment is set!? And, there seems to be some kind of chain on the back end of that flat bar.

Comments (7)

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, thanks for all of the help and info! With the help of everybody, i finally decided i'd might as well go fix it myself!
    I got a friend to come over, we installed the deck and the new belts, learned to never take another one like it in for repairs, and started it up. It runs, the belts stay on-don't jump off, don't slip, all seems good!
    BUT----
    There is an annoying click in the new spindle that was installed by someone else, at some period past!
    So, that is the owners problem, i'd say. What say you?
    Of course, i don't expect an answer-seems like everybody is setting on their hands this week. So be it.
    By: Rusty Jones

• larso1
    13 years ago

I would agree and say it is certainly the owner's problem, although I guess you could ask him if he wanted you to replace it for $? It is a used, preexisting spindle so there should be no argument about why the noise. I assume you checked that the pulley is tight on the spindle to torque specs? A very slightly loose pulley (not fully torqued) would/could cause a clicking sound like that.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    13 years ago

Rusty,

Sorry, I don't know how I missed your original post or I'd have helped.

As far as the clicking, that is odd. I think Larsol's idea is as good as any. Also, sometimes those cast iron pulley on the old one have no key - instead they have a hole with two flats on it. Makes getting them apart easier, but the due sometimes wear and you get some play on the pulley to shaft connection. But when I have seen it they did not "click".

Good luck

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, the man said it had been doing that clicking forever, and didn't want to buy another spindle, so i collected my stipend and sent him and his tractor on his way. I have a friend locally who is a Wheel-horse collector, and he set me straight on how the controls work on the particular model. thanks for the reply. Rustyj

• wheelhorse_of_course
    13 years ago

Glad the customer is satisfied.

Ironic I missed your post or I would have helped!

cheers

• shipdoctor24_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I need to replace the mower deck belt and pulleys on my wheel horse 312-8. I don't know what the step by step process is. Can someone assist. I don't have the owners manual.
    Thanks

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You must write down the model numbers, engine type, tranny type, size of deck, number of belts. etc. then go poke around in the various tractor columns here, and see what you can find. There are Yahoo Clubs on the computer, and some careful digging in them will get results. look for Yahoo Clubs/Wheel horse tractors..
    Hardware store or auto parts store belts will be unsatisfactory, unless they deal in the make.
    To install the belts--make a careful drawing of how the old ones are presently installed, and go from there. From past experiences, i know you will never remember how the belts go back on! Just about the time you finally think you have the belt pattern all figured out, in yer head, yer wife will call you to come do something for her, and by the time you get back to it---guess what---you will have forgot!
    Also-check in Yahoo Groups, for the wheel-horse tractor club, and post a question there.

Sponsored