Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nedewey

lawn chief riding mower

nedewey
13 years ago

who makes lawn chief? Mine is a 7 speed that won't go.

Comments (9)

• mownie
    13 years ago

Found this in a Yahoo! search. Click below.

Here is a link that might be useful: True Value?

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

I was given a Lawn chief lawn tractor. It didn't "go" either! Upon inspecting it, i found that the main drive pulley, on the transmission in-put shaft, had lost its splines, and slid down so it just spun on the input shaft of the transmission.
    I read a lot of posts, here, and in other forums, and soon learned that others had that same problem. One fellow said he got parts at the local JD Tractor dealer, so i went there. But the parts man there didn't have the right pulley in stock, but he had a good used one in their junk parts out back! He gave me that and also the cooling fan. I installed the pulley and fan and it now runs and drives!
    I don't know if the parts are JD, or not, but they do work!
    A suggestion: If you have to drive very far to try to find a used pulley, it might be a good idea to pull the in-put shaft and take it along to match it up. Thats if you find the pulley is stripped. I also read that the shaft is hardened, but the pulley is softer metal, so if it does go bad, it won't wear out the input shaft.
    The pulley i got is a wee bit smaller than original, but i adjusted the idler pulley to compensate for it.

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

Manufactured by MTD of Cleveland, OH.

If you have the Model number and Serial number (located on a label under the seat), you should be able to go to MTD's website and get a manual with illustrated parts list.

• kydrifter
    10 years ago

I have a Lawn Chief / Mastercraft 14.5hp. 42in. cut Riding Mower Model 13A0673G131 the only Model I can find when looking for Parts or Accesorys is 13AM673G131 does anyone know what the difference is?

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

I think the latter is 2 years newer.
    Don't know if they changed anything though.

• kydrifter
    9 years ago

Does anyone know how to adjust the Valves on a14.5 Briggs that does not have Overhead Valves model 42A707 Type 2238E1 It must be a hard job I can't find any Videos on how to do it.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

If too much lash, you have to remove the valve and grind the end of the stem.
    If too little, you have to remove the valve and cut/lap the valve head/seat.

• mownie
    9 years ago

Bill, you have the instructions backward.
    If you already have too much lash, and you grind the end of the valve stem, you will have even MORE lash than before.
    Same for lapping or cutting the seat, if you already have too little lash, you will have even less lash after cutting/lapping.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

You're correct of course!
    Too busy typing instead of thinking-

I think the poster may now realize why there aren't any videos.........