Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roodney77

JD starting problems

roodney77
10 years ago

I've got a John Deere D110 with a Briggs & Stratton 31, it's only two seasons old and it won't start anymore. It's only been used half a dozen times this summer, the last time I was mowing and stopped to move something. Now when I try to start it will turn over but it won't fire up. When I hold the key in the start position it will crank once, then make a high pitched beeping noise before cranking over one more time and then nothing. Battery voltage is fine, also tried boosting, and checked the air filter & fuel hoses. The clear filter at first looked quite low but it's at least half to 3/4 full now. What should I look at next? Thanks

Comments (15)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Charge the battery.
    Check for spark when cranking.
    IF it doesn't crank, get the battery load tested.
    If the battery is good, adjust the valves.

IF you have spark, try priming the carb with a few teaspoons of gas and see if it tries to fire.

• roodney77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The battery tested fully charged, will check for spark. You mean priming the carb through the the air intake? Thanks for you help!

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

You mentioned adjusting the valves. I have a 10 year old JD LT-155. How often should the valves be adjusted on this tractor

• User
    10 years ago

"The battery tested fully charged"

Was the battery load tested or it had 12 volts on a meter?

• roodney77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right, it had 12.5 V on the meter. I was also unable to start by boosting it.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

That is NOT a load test!
    8 penlight batteries will generate 12V, but hardly start a tractor. (adding 1 more won't help either)

• User
    10 years ago

12.5 vdc volts on a static battery is not an indication that the battery is good..

You need to take the battery to an Auto Zone or similar place and have it load tested.

• roodney77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will get it tested, but wouldn't the boost have started it too? The battery is only 2 years old, but maybe it hasn't been getting the charge it needs since we only use the mower like a ten times a year?

• User
    10 years ago

New batteries on the shelf at the store can and do fail load tests. Sometimes you buy a new battery that is defective and it's happening more and more.

Have you ever checked the electrolyte level in this battery?

When we know that you have a good battery we can continue the diagnostic process.

• roodney77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did open the caps and check the fluid levels, both were full... Will get load test done.

• roodney77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The battery holds a charge, and I trickle charged it so it's back to full capacity. I've tested for a spark & the plug is good. When it tries to start it keeps turning over (for a while anyways) and then the after a little while it's just the fan noise (after maybe 5-10 sec)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

And the results of the load test were???????????

• roodney77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it was 10.2 under load.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

who did the load test with what sort of equipment?

• roodney77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

canadian tire, i don't know the equipment, are you looking for a specific brand name?

Sponsored