Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klfpub

comparison of garden tractors

klfpub
9 years ago

We have about 3 acres to mow each week which includes several slopes and a few ditches and 50 trees. While we prefer a zero turn radius our research to date shows they don't do well on slopes/ditches or pulling of lawn carts.

We currently own a 15 y/o john deere gt235 but is getting old and worn out. We use daily as my wife hauls 4-5 bails of hay each evening for her horses.

So we're back to garden tractors. We are looking at a john deere x 324 with a 48 inch deck and with 4 wheel drive and a mulching kit for a little over 5 grand.

We are also looking at a craftsman pro series, model #98645 with a 54 inch deck and mulching kit for about $3,500.

Curious as to what recommendations are from folks on these two or on any others that might fit our bill? Appreciate any and all assistance and thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

I have the Craftsman 98645, has 8 hours on it due to lack of rain recently. I mow four acres and it's been OK so far. The $3500 is way too high. I paid $2712 including tax without the mulch kit. With Sears, wait for it to go on sale, or tell them you want the last or next sale price, also take out a Sears card and get an additional 5%. There's also a difference in buying from a "local" Sears store vs. one of their larger stores. The three year in home warranty is nice. Be aware that with all the bad press recently, Sears may not be around over the long haul. However, it's a Kohler Engine and Hydro Gear trans, so parts won't be a problem.

The "JD chorus" will answer soon. :-)

Good luck,

Ev

• tomplum
    9 years ago

When I use the googler with that Sears model - it comes up as available at their outlet for like $2000- 2200. I would guess it may depend on your location. That tractor is a Husqvarna built machine, it's a great deck and it looks to have the quick change blades. The X324 is a sweet ride indeed, but be sure you know that it is a 4 wheel steer rather than a 4 wheel drive.

• justalurker
    9 years ago

@ klfpub,

"We currently own a 15 y/o john deere gt235 but is getting old and worn out. We use daily as my wife hauls 4-5 bails of hay each evening for her horses". So has that old GT235 pair for itself a few times in 15 years? Been reliable? Easy to get parts and service?

The X3xx Select Series John Deeres are LAWN tractors, not GARDEN tractors. John Deere GARDEN tractors start at the X5xx Select Series. Look at an X500... it'll cost you but it will last you.

@ Ev,

And the "John Deere Chorus" still sings the same song and has been singing it for decades and decades and decades and decades and decades... you get what you pay for. Any expensive Sears purchase is iffy now days until we see if Sears even has a future. A 3 year in home warranty is useless to me if I have to wait for a mower-refrigerator- washing machine-vacuum cleaner repair person to show up and then order parts and then wait till the parts come and then wait till the repair person comes back and then hope they diagnosed it correctly. and there's always the inconvenience of not being able to get a part on a Saturday so I can mow or blow snow on Sunday.

I didn't believe that and bought the top line Sears GT. Had it one day and took it back. I'm new to JD but not to LG and GTs and machinery in general. I hated to pay what my X500 cost but I hated to pay what my Toyota 4x4 pickup cost too. My Toyota is 22 years old and has outlived numerous brands of neighbors trucks and pulled out quite a few stuck in mud and snow. Best thing about my Toyota is that it saved me from buying a couple new trucks in 22 years.

Yup, John Deere and Toyota... they both cost too much and are worth every cent.

Ev, I'm pulling for you and I hope to read your posts years down the road that your Sears has given you the reliable service you're hoping for. I know I bought my last garden tractor (unless I just want a bigger tractor) and my X500 will outlive me and there will still be parts available when I'm gone.

No chorus... just a solo.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    9 years ago

Lurker, you're still a good guy, no matter what they say about you. :-)

I'm part of the JD chorus on farm equipment, everything we have here is green, except the dozer which is JD yellow.

Be well,

Ev

• justalurker
    9 years ago

Ev,

You understand the value of a product when you spend tens of thousands and don't see the value when you spend $3K?

Time for you to learn the Sears tune... ATTENTION K-MART SHOPPERS in the key of C.

• wrager
    9 years ago

The X500 for sure. With the locking rear end, you won't need 4wd. I go up a 40 degree incline with mine all of the time. Probably need the ADAP tires though.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area