Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaking gas tank on LTZ1000 Craftsman lawn tractor

Posted by mutta WI (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 16:54

After smelling gas fumes in my garage I finally took the time to check out my sears lawn tractor gas tank. The tank
is seeping gas out of the seam. The tank number is 109202x
and the replacement tank is 184900. I had the small engine
shope order me a new tank(Cost of $26.56 plus tax). I went on line and see that this is a common problem with this type gas tank(looks like the replacement is made the same way).Did a search and came up with, http://en.allexperts.com/q/Small-Engines-Lawn-1746/f/Craftsman-LT1000-fuel-tank.htm Seems some had them fixed under a recall than ended 08/01........one guy had his fixed after warranty ran out by calling sears.
Why is there not a recall on this from sears???? I will be sending this info to sears ceo.......and the CPSC.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaking gas tank on LTZ1000 Craftsman lawn tractor

How old did you say your tractor was?

o

It was bought may of 2001.........so recall never made it to me for some reason................

o

Sometimes a "recall" isn't really a federally mandated recall at all.
Some recalls really amount to the OEM getting hit with a bunch of failures during the warranty period of the machine (read that as "premature failure) where the OEM has to belly up to the bar and pay for those failures.
Once the OEM has enough proof of defective whateveritis they bought from the lowest bidding vendor for those whatevertheyare, the OEM will call the vendor to the office and demand the supplier of the thingiestheyare to stand behind their defective product.
Often, the vendor and the OEM will agree on coverage of a specific "lot number or production run" of the components and handle the problem by either contacting the consumers who bought products with the affected component to offer a replacement even if the part has not failed yet. Or they may say that if the part has failed, it will be replaced.

If your tractor fuel tank had begun leaking 8 years ago, you would have stood a better chance of getting a free tank replacement.
Realistically speaking, a plastic fuel tank that begins leaking 9 years after DOM would/could arguably have failed due to reasons other than "defective workmanship or materials", at least that's what the lawyers would say.

o

Mownie, maybe the lawyer would say I twisted the gas cap on too tight too many times and therefore made the seam on the cheap tank come apart? Or that I must have not followed preventive maintance on the gas tank? Or that I abused the gas tank? Hope all you owners start checking your gas tanks, this replacement looks cheaper than the orginal............yep nine years is good for the tank with
the vibration from the Kohler Pro single engine.......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here