Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mowboy

PTO not engaging

MowBoy
9 years ago

Hi. Here is where I'm at:
Cub Cadet RZT 54.(zero turn)
PTO disengaged on its own while mowing and will not re-engage.
Battery was operated at reduced voltage for 2-3 months, started with a die hard jump box.
I tested the clutch harness with a multi-tester, switching the leads, and both ways read 0 on the ohms.
I also started mower, disconnected seat shut-off switch, turned PTO switch on, and put a volt tester to both wires in the harness going back to PTO switch and no light up.
I also tested battery with mower running on high throttle, 14.2.
My theory ? I burned out the PTO switch and clutch, maybe by running with a reduced capacity battery for so long ?
Solutions ? Maybe install new clutch and switch and everything be ok ? help ?

Comments (7)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

IF you used a high OHMs scale, you may think you have ZERO.

Use the lowest scale.
    Resistance is typically between 2.4-2.9 OHMs.

Something else you could try is disconnected the PTO connector and apply 12V directly to the PTO.
    IF it clicks, there's hope.

Running with reduced voltage can be extremely hard on these.
    You may be at a point where the battery can't supply enough voltage and the clutch disengages.
    When the load is removed, voltage can jump back up enough to re-engage the clutch. Voltage drops again and the cycle repeats like a machine gun.
    High electrical surges and excessive wear on the friction material.

IF your clutch has an adjustable air gap, try setting it to .012" with the 3 adjustment screws.

I linked to a Warner Manual for troubleshooting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• MowBoy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the quick follow up.
    I think my multi-tester is a cheapo and only has one range setting.
    I should also mention I did get a new battery.
    How could I go about providing 12v direct to clutch harness ? can I use a die hard jump box with like 14g wire to connect the Pos to red lead in harness and Neg to black lead in harness ? or go from mower batt to harness with wires ?

• MowBoy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok I took 2 wires from my jumper 12v to the clutch harness and it engaged.
    So, maybe just my PTO switch ? since I get no voltage when I took a circuit tester to that side of harness ?

I did check the reverse switches, the seat switch (now unplugged), and the open hand bar? switches. they all are plugged in, no frays I can see.

Just don't know why my multi tester would show zero ohms on clutch. Is the tester that big a piece o crap ?
    Would jumping it like that make it engage even if it is shorted ? that don't make sense.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

What's the smallest OHMS scale on your tester?
    If it's something like 2K, 2 OHMS is only 0.1%.
    Cheap meters aren't that accurate + the digital display is +/- 1 digit.

• MowBoy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the one dial setting for ohms says 'ohms' and ' x 1k' is under. in book it says mult by 1000 for reading.

If it reads zero, could clutch still click when 12v power is applied direct to harness of clutch ?

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Your meter simply doesn't have the resolution to read that low + the fact you may have nearly that much resistance in your test leads.

The fact it clicks is a better indicator that it's probably good.

• MowBoy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well I think right now for the short term I will get a PTO switch since its right around $20, and put it in there and
    plug the clutch back in and give it a go.
    Thank you.

Sponsored