Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_11012

Troy bilt super bronco new engine won't start

Jim.11012
10 years ago

I just put a new engine in. 19hp Kohler courage. Had someone replace the short block and carburetor.I removed the old engine and took it to someone to replace the short block and carburetor and I installed on the mower. It won't start. It only fired a couple of spurts one time. The spark plug is firing. I have sprayed starting fluid in the carburetor. Still nothing. Valves are set right. Dones anyone have an idea?. I hate to have to take it back.

Comments (5)

• mla2ofus
    10 years ago

Try squirting a spoonful of engine oil in the cyl. Sometimes the rings need some oil to seal good for the intial startup.
    Mike

• rcbe
    10 years ago

1)LOSE the starting fluid (ether) - good way to trash your new engine. Use rattlecan carb cleaner instead.
    2) Reconfirm all electrical re-hooked back up as original - no shortcuts.
    3) verify fuel filter is OEM and installed in correct flow direction.
    4) pull ignition wire off plug and disconnect fuel line at carb. use catch container. have assistant crank engine with cl/brake fully depressed, 1/2 throttle, no choke, PTO sw off. If good flow of fuel, hook fuel line and ignition wire back up.
    5) Remove air cleaner. Wih assistant cranking engine as above, spray several shots of carb cleaner directly into carb throat. If engine pops and tries to start, you still have a fuel delivery problem., If not, an igntion or mechanical problem.
    6) fuel problem - remove carb. disassemble, soak overnite in liquid carb cleaner. using magnifying glass and stiff small dia brass wire, probe all component orifices - blow out with rattlecan carb cleaner and compressed air. Rebuild using rebuild kit - use only new gaskets and float valve seats.
    7) ignition/mechanical problems: due to the multiple possible causes involved, best to get the engine model/type numbers; go to the kohler engine website; download the specific engine service manual you will need.

• Jim.11012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried the oil in the cylinder but that didn't help. It is getting fuel and fire. I just realized it doesn't have compression because I can't tell any difference in compression with the spark plug in or out. How could that be with a brand new short block.

• Jim.11012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It must have a valve issue because that is all that was not replaced. The valves are either not seating or they are out of time.

• mla2ofus
    10 years ago

If the valves aren't in time w/ the crankshaft you'll have to take it back. When you say "shortblock", do you mean one that came w/ crank,piston rod and camshaft or do you mean just a bare block?
    Mike

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor