Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neutral on JD 185 hydro

Posted by datatax1 none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 17:18

I have inherited a JD 185 hydro. I can't figure out how to find neutral so I can roll it. It will not start and I cannot push it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neutral on JD 185 hydro

You will need to poke around on the back end of the tractor for a lever of some sort (unless it has been taken off).
This lever will operate the "free wheeling" mode of the hydro.
Typically, pulling straight back on the lever will pop it into free wheel. You may find it difficult to pull. If you can sort of rock the tractor forward and backward while pulling the lever it sometimes helps the valve to shift.

If this tractor has been sitting dead in one spot for a while, waiting to be rejuvenated......the parking brake pucks may also be stuck to the brake disc. That could require you to access the brake caliper and spray it down with rust bust or brake cleaner and apply a few raps against the caliper with a hammer. Just a few light taps, you aren't trying to kill it.

o

On my LT-155 the "lever" is a little black nob on a rod in the back under the fuel tank area. When you are behind the tractor, it pulls straight out about 2 inches.

If you are having a parking brake problem as I had on my LT-155. Get under the machine and clean out the grass and debris from the frame channel. On mine there is about a 3 inch deep pocket in the "c" shaped rail that makes up the frame. Using air, a screw driver, vacumn or what ever it takes to clean the pocket, solved my problem. It is now part of normal maintainence. All of the debris was not allowing the parking brake to work properly.

This debris in not apparent causal inspection.

o

The JD185 has a Sundstrand hydro. I'm not sure it has a release rod but it appears to have "tow linkage".

Perhaps this will help... click here

o

The Sundstrand hydro does have a bypass or tow linkage. Should be under the seat. Pull out to free wheel and push in to engage. See attached manual.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Deere 185 Tech Manual

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here