Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bolens wont stop or shift.

Posted by gwhunter (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 17:24

I have a Bolens by MTD 13ag683g163 20 hp . Engine went bad so I put in a used 21 hp briggs. I also put both new drive belts on since I had every thing off and up in air. Now it runs great but when I push the break it stop once and awhile but most the time it slows me to a craw and I try to put it in neutral it wont go it just jumps to reveres.

Do you think it would be because the belts are to tight or is there some thing wrong with the transmission? I did have a heck of a time getting the belts on. They were a off brand I got off ebay. I've mowed my yard 5 or 6 time hoping it was the belts and they would stretch but still doing it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bolens wont stop or shift.

that's a mtd type VSD machine... 2 things - usually best to replace ground drive belts as a pair and they be OEM; Also follow detail change-out instructions in owners manual to the letter, including re-adjusting park brake.
If you don't have manual, take machine number 13ag683g163, go to MTD manual archives (Google) and download free pdf copy.

Good luck.

o
RE: Bolens wont stop or shift.

Pull the deck and recheck the front belt as it is routed through the frame. My guess is it is around something it shouldn't be. IE steering shaft, the small peg that you are supposed to sneak the belt over which acts as guide near the center. And yes, every forum post in the world that notes that MTD belts are the way to go are correct. 954-04001a and 954-04002 They are cheap and they fit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here