Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1973norton

Looking at a John Deere X300 to purchase

Dave
9 years ago

I sold my Power Kraft (finally) after a persistent pursuit with some of you to find out the engine problem.
Basically it was tired and not worth rebuilding so I got a 100 bucks off Craigslist today and I'm looking at a Deere.

I have a 4210 loader/backhoe/finish mower set up but need to replace my rider. It trust John Deere equipment. The closest applicable machine I found (new/used) is the X300. All I need is a machine to do mulch mowing an pull a large Agrifab trailer for cord wood.

Any questions, comments or criticism?
Thanks, Dave

Comments (23)

• justalurker
    9 years ago

The X300 is an entry level LAWN tractor. Mow a small FLAT area... no worries. A joy to operate, EZ steering, and a nice cut.

Pulling a large Agrifab trailer for cord wood is another story. You need to define large trailer and cord wood. The X300 will definitely tow it, but it will not tow it indefinitely.

If it were me I'd move up to the X310 or X320 with the K58 transaxle at a minimum.

• leafeanator
    9 years ago

I have a 2010 model X300 with 180 hours. I use it to mow a slightly hilly 1 acre, pull a plug aerator, pull a 10 CF trailer, and used to plow a 300 ft driveway before I moved to TN from OH a couple months ago. I have the 42C mower and added the mulch kit for $100 and is doing great. The K46 trans is a weak point to some. I read up on it and at 50 hours I drained the factory 10W30 oil out of the trans and refilled with 5W50 Synthetic which should help a bunch. The biggest cause of the trans going bad is HEAT causing the oil to get carbon particles which then score the pump and case causing slipping of the trans. Keep the trans clean and cool and it should last. The X320 is a great unit but $1,000 more. The better K58 is just a K46 with precharge pump and 1" axles. The K46 can be repaired see the link below for a hugh thread about it, also talks about adding a precharge pump to it for $80. Yes I love my X300

Here is a link that might be useful: K46 rebuild

This post was edited by leafeanator on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 6:22

• Dave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting info on the K58/K46 trannys.
    I'm not sure about the value in a K58 on the X320 for my use.
    My 18hp Briggs twin had no problem on 30 deg. grades pulling a full trailer. The bed is about 38" x 60" x 20" high.

Glad to hear two good reviews on the X300.
    And thanks for the K46 link. I'll check it out.

Dave

• justalurker
    9 years ago

The X320 gets you the K58 trans, which some think is no big deal and might not be if you like wrenching on a new tractor and removing the trans to change the oil possibly voiding the warranty but you can't increase the axle diameter or axle torque by changing the oil in a K46. I can't recall a post on forums where people had problems with K58s but there are quite a few complaining about K46 transaxles after towing or mowing what they consider slightly hilly areas.

The $1k you pay to upgrade to the X320 also gets you more HP, maybe a plus maybe not, better to have them if you need them. Also bigger wheels which IS a big plus in ride and traction.

Since you're shopping for a Deere go to the dealer and see for yourself and remember...

Slammer's rules:

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.
    (Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

• Dave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sound advice......except the spouse rule.
    I'd be the one teed off, while she'd just say, "live & learn".

I tend to do my homework before I make a purchase.
    I have not yet looked, but will, as I would imagine lots of fall mower sales coming.
    The only machine I viewed was a 2014 Cub Cadet.
    The same day I talked with a landscaper buddy and he said stay away! He had returned two of them new in the past.

Thanks fro the Slammer's Rule,
    Dave

• justalurker
    9 years ago

John Deere traditionally has a promo on Select Series L&G tractors in the fall and sometimes with free financing.

I'll agree with your buddy cause Cub Cadet today isn't who they used to be.

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    9 years ago

IMO - any tractor with a non-serviceable tranny (i.e. K46) is in my words a "throwaway tractor". Mow a 1/2 acre flat lawn and NEVER pull anything you'll be fine. Anything beyond that, expect to get 5 years of use before the tranny starts to fail. You were OK until you said that you were going to start pulling stuff.

• Dave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holy Crap!!
    Are those K46's really that bad? I pulled lots with that 18hp Briggs and the stock Power Kraft tranny.
    Never even had to top off the fluid (20-50 oil.).

I have lots of grades here, too. I may need to look at the X320 or maybe another make.

Thanks

• leafeanator
    9 years ago

Think you are talking about the K46 rebuild post.
    You will notice probably all that have problems have the box store models which outnumber X300's by probably 1000 to one. Don't remember any mention of a X300. I post on there as rblapham and it shows me with a X300 but no problems. Yes they both use the K46. Never figured it out but think the K46 in the X300 might be a little tougher? Also most of the posters probably are beating their K46 to death using it for more than it was designed for. Also like all discussions on the internet the ones that have no problems don't post. I really needed only a $1,500 big box tractor but desided to go up as high as I could to a X300. Liked the much better frame, Kawi engine, deck adjust, electric PTO, bearings instead of bushings and much more. Time will tell and since I love to fix things I kind of hope the trans breaks so I can have fun rebuilding it. But I also take very good care on my equipment so may never have to rebuild it. Now my Hemi is another story.

This post was edited by leafeanator on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 20:07

• justalurker
    9 years ago

IMO the people who buy box store L&G and the people who go to the dealer are two different classes of customer.

Those who spend the money for a JD select series X300 seem to tend to take better care of their mowers. Either doing the maintenance themselves or farming that out to the dealer. buying at the dealer chances are they were advised by someone who actually knew and understood the product rather than the next person in an apron who stumbled by. Chances are that those who bought at the dealer got a product that was what they needed... or a step up if the salesman was good.

If all those k46s are really that bad it will come as news to the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people who are getting reliable service from theirs. It will also come as news to JD and Tuff-Torq.

Now, the hundreds or maybe thousands of people who manage to break their K46 are vocal on the web but that small a squeaky wheel will get no grease.

As for adding a replaceable filter and drain plugs to the K46... that's a lot more complicated than you'd think. Redesigning the K46 to use a filter will require different castings and that is EXPENSIVE. Changing over production lines and the added product liability has to be considered.

While I consider the ability to EASILY change the oil in a ground engaging GT transaxle essential it might surprise people that the K72 in the JD X500 does not have a filter that is accessible from the outside... and I couldn't care less.

Some people can break an anvil with a rubber hammer... so either put down the hammer or get the right anvil for the job and pay what it costs... or keep welding your anvil back together.

• Dave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Back from the JD dealerships yesterday for a look and test ride.

Both dealers agreed that the X300 is ok for occasional light towing and will do grades, but I got a concerned look from one dealer about my 30ð inclines.

As suggested here, I test drove one & was impressed! Steering, hydrostatic fwd/rev, low noise, etc. but still concerned (a bit) regarding the tranny. Interesting point about the box store K46 vs. the X300 K46. I'd like to think the negative posts are all about the D100 series!

Like most of you folks, I take good care of my machines and don't beat them. I could go up to the next "X" model with the K57 or K58 for another grand.

I'm in no hurry to buy now. I need to learn more if there is any more to know about the JD's.
    Thanks all,
    Dave

• justalurker
    9 years ago

AFAIK the K46 in the D series and in the X series are the same. According to TT they are the same and take the same internal parts.

I can see where people buying entry level riders at the box store from people who know little or nothing about what they're selling will tend to be harder on their rider than those who spent more for an X300 and were better counciled by a knowledgeable dealer.

If I were you I'd look to an X320 or perhaps a really clean used one at the dealer. Whatever warranty is left on a used JD is transferable to a new owner.

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    9 years ago

X534 Deere has a pull-out replaceable hydro filter if memory serves. Was looking at buying one but went with a ZTR (mowing) and JD 445 garden tractor (blowing and ground engaging).

At least around my neck of the woods, there is a TON of good, used late model JD X5** tractors for sale. The 4 wheel steer is sweet and relatively uncomplicated.

• larso1
    9 years ago

1111GD1111 (nice name:), I like your way of thinking re: having the right dedicated tool(s) for the job(s). A JD 445 is a very handsome and capable GT, big size too. And a ZTR is the way to go if you don't like spending hours mowing..... cuts the mowing time nearly in half from a GT/LT. I have a JD 425EZTrak ztr for mowing and a grey market 4x4 Japanese compact diesel tractor (Iseki) dedicated to roto-tilling. The used tractor with 48-in. Yanmar 2-pt. tiller cost me about the same, including shipping from the east coast to CO, as the new residential grade JD ztr. If you have the means and the indoor storage area, a tractor and a ztr are definitely the way to go, IMO.

• Dave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most all of my ground work is done with an '04 4210 loader backhoe & 60" finish mower.

For in & out of the woods to haul brush & cord wood, I'll occasionally (once/mo.) need a lawn/garden tractor.

Aside from mowing mostly flat once/week, or less in summer, I'll also use it to haul manure/compost, stone, etc. with a small trailer, 36" x 60" x 14" deep on 18" dia balloon type tires. Heaviest load on steepest grade is a full bed of 60" logs on a 30% grade.....maybe once or twice per year.

I'm sure with a new X300 Deere I'll be more forgiving than I was with my1996 Power Kraft $125 s@#$ box lawn tractor.
    (God bless her)

Still looking,
    Dave

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

What your going to pay for a new X300 series you could get a good used 4X (425,445,455) series which is twice the mower.

• Dave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am finding that out as I look around.
    Even the Sears Craftsman 6000 has a Hydrgear G730 tranny that beats the crap out of the X300.

Thanks,
    Dave

• justalurker
    9 years ago

Widen your view and compare all the rest of both the X300 and the Sears 6000.

Frame, steering (effort and adjustable steering links), electrics, decks, WARRANTY, and parts and service availability.

The Sears stuff looks great on paper and lots of people like them and get good life from them.

I bought a Sears DGS6500. Took it home and when I really got to looking closely at what I had I loaded it up the next morning and returned it.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

Don't know where your from but here in PA I go to public auctions that have mowers an sometimes they go cheap it all depends on who is there and what they want, I bought my 455 JD for $3,700 from a private seller an I love it so I feel I got a great buy.

• Dave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in Mass here and rely on Craigslist to buy & sell.

Most of the shops take in trades and resell the machines for a good price.
    Those are the two places I look for decent garden tractors.

• justalurker
    9 years ago

@ Alberti,

If you look around MA you should be able to find a good deal on a used low hour X500.

While the older 425 and 445 GTs are outstanding tractors they can have the plastic cam gear which is not a cheap repair. The diesel 455s seem to bring high prices wherever they are found if they are in good condition.

@ jimmy56,

A clean 455 for under $4k is a GREAT DEAL.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

I just happen to be at the right place at the right time I guess, But they do seem to bring good money for older mowers, I wasn't aware about the plastic cam gear, I thought the 345 was the only one that had it and only on a certain year, Thanks for bringing that to are attention, Too bad your not closer to PA because Fraley has their annual fall consignment sale this Saturday with lots of mowers.

• shaggnasty
    9 years ago

PSA: JD has a $500 off deal going on the X300/42" deck thru 3/2/15. I might have to pull the trigger...nice LT for $2500.