Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smilin_2009

Which Zero Turn

smilin_2009
12 years ago

I'm leaning toward 2 zero turn mowers and would like feedback on each. I have over an acre of cutting and plenty of flower beds and some trees. I like the Hustler Sport 42" or the John Deere Z225. Any info on each would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

• cpo1
    12 years ago

I think you are on the right track. I'm also investigating zero turn mowers. I have a Cub Z with a 50" cutting deck, but want a zero turn with a deck that can mulch well. The Cub does not meet my mulching expectations. It's fine for side discharging. I've had good luck with Toro for mulching with my small walk-behind, but I'm skeptical of their zero-turn stamped decks. In fairness to them, I should go try one out. After researching this for the past few weeks, so far I like the JD Z225 or 45, Hustler Sport, and Bad Boy. I'm sure there are other good ones out there, but for the quality and money, these look appealing. To my knowledge, all of have welded decks and offer true mulching kits. I believe your chances for good mulching are improved with a 42" system, as compared to a much wider deck. I'm planning to stay with no wider than 48". If you are not mulching, I think many zero turns will do fine, regardless of the deck design. I do not have a clue as to which systems work well for bagging, but I'm not that interested in bagging. I'm a mulch addict. Hopefully, others will chime in with opinions about all of this. Hope it helps some.

• hippy
    12 years ago

When you get done wasting your time with Bad Boys, Hustler, John Deere, Cub Cadet and Dixie Chopper.

Go look at Gravely Z series and Ferris. Compare the specs and be glad that someone let you know that there is something better to invest your money in than junk that will beat you to death to use it.

• cpo1
    12 years ago

I owned a Gravely tractor back in the 70's and yes, they are well made and reliable machines. I've also owned an Arien's walk-behind and snow blower and found them to be reasonably well built machines as well. Arien's has owned Gravely now for about 20 years. But like Dixie Chopper, which some still swear to be the best, price does come into the picture more these days. So, since Gravely seems to be more expensive than some of these other machines, I'd like to know what sets them apart in the zero-turn category. I'm looking for a quality mulching cut and a reasonably well built and reliable machine. Certainly, there must be something that is significantly better about the Gravely or Ferris, I just can't identity it yet. Thanks again for the help.

Sponsored