Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Tractor w/ 17.5 HP B&S Engine stalls

Posted by mrfusa CT (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 19:58

I was cutting my lawn yesterday (1acre) and got half way through when my mower began to loose power and stall.
I did the following:

New fuel, new fuel filter, new fuel line. Blew out carb and checked valves for any obvious play. Today, engine runs fine until I engage the mower deck. Checked sindles (removed deck) and both move normal. It appears that when it boggs down, I can see black smoke coming from the muffler, not a great amount but seems it is running rich under strain. Any other ideas, the mower is 10 years old and I stay on top of the valve issues with this tractor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Tractor w/ 17.5 HP B&S Engine stalls

Look on the engine sheet metal and find the engine Model Number and Type Number. Post those numbers so we can know exactly which Briggs 17.5 you have.
You might also post the Sears technical Model number of the tractor so we can learn what type PTO is on this tractor.
What about the engine air filter? Is it fairly new or very old?

o

Try the motor with the fuel cap off to verify that ventilation is not a problem restricting the fuel flow. When you engage the deck the RPMs rise, and when the RPMs rise it requires more fuel. Perhaps the vent is just clogged just enough to cause problems when the load is increased. Anyway, easy check. You don't need to remove the cap completely, just leave it very loose so air can get through it.

o

Clean air filter and try it. Like mownie suggested.

Black smoke - not enough air.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here