Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Gray /c-man lawn tractor:

rustyj14
12 years ago

A neighbor asked me to install a new crank-shaft seal, so i dragged it home today. After an inspection, i found the crank seal not leaking, but the sump bolts had come loose, and some fell out in the yard, i guess. So thats what i'll be doing soon. Have to pull the engine, find out if new bolts will tighten up, and fix that one. Busy, busy!

I have an appointment to have a new spring hanger installed on my Rusty Ranger! A 1997. Old one all ate out by hiway salt. The Ford Company shouldn't be allowed to sell their trucks in road salt country. Geez, i've been on a regular rust repair run since i bought it as a total 3 years ago. I call it Ilean, as something is always out of plumb at some time!

Comments (14)

• mownie
    12 years ago

Maybe you should have come up with a nick-name such as "No Corrode" instead of rusty j :^)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Heh heh. good one mownie! And good luck resealing that sump. Use every trick ya know and it might seal up.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Didn't get to it today, but tomorrow i'll take out the engine, turn it upside down and get to it. I think (hope) the gasket will fix it. The tractor is a C-man, old dark gray, nice condition, but leaks oil and bolts missing from sump. And, hopefully the threads haven't been pulled out by the twisting of the engine. And that i have bolts to fit it.
    Going out to pick the Grass tonight, be on tomorrow. Thnks for the vote of confidence! Rusty J.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

the spring hangers must be an issue on the Rangers. I bought a 600$ fixer upper This summer The right Rear hanger is brand new.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

These can be buggers once they are allowed to work loose and jostle around. Back when Briggs had them fail years back, they'd shorty them. I'll do these, but not warranty them. I've had 2 that wouldn't hold. Think goop on both sides and loctite on the bolts. . .

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep, Andyma: I still have the left side to do. The one with the bolts behind the gas tank/ frame area.
    I took my 95 buick in to get the Midas muffler replaced. Guy put it up on the rack, then called me in to see it! The muffler isn't leaking--everything else is toast! Road salt has eaten it all up! Well, i'll drive it until stickers run out, then send it off to the junk yard in the sky! Hate to do it, but it won't be safe in a couple months of salt and snow!

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

Hey, rustyJ don't drive in the salt! arn't you retired???Like the C'man the previous owner probably did no preventive maintenance and didn't wash the salt off.

if you find a vehicle that will survive road salt Good luck. down here in OKieland I can find the in forrds pristent condition for $2500 or less Hee, Hee. When I lived in Miss o rey I washed my 66 plymouth belvedere after every salt laiden trip. It helped but it still rusted.

You think american cars rust. try driving 15 year old european car in england. They use to do NO rust preventive when they built them. Spanish Fiat then (80's)were the worst the back half would actually break away from the car, course being they were front wheel drive some just put swivel out and light back and kept on driving. as for the c'man usual lack of preventive maintenance on the owners part IMO.

BE CAREFUL replacing the shakkle, they can be a burger.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

I think the PO had the bed off. It isnt sitting plumb with the back of the cab. All the supports on the cab and the frame are ok. or show signs of repair. I think some blacksmithing has been done already. If the SO's car didnt start leaking ATF and not stopping so good, I be putting exhaust and a clutch in it for the winter.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, i got the gray tractor running. Just have the stacked pulley and belts, and finish it up. No leaks so far.
    Then this evening, right after supper, a Dr. Friend called and said he got a free C-man tractor from a widder woman across his street- told me to get it and do a short restoration/get it running deal. Its still in my truck. Too dark to take it off. Tomorrow is another day!
    Oh, he did say i could have his old machine for doing the work. It runs and drives, but its the old dark gray c-man, with long hard usage. Should bring $150, maybe more. Guess i'm going to have to build another shed to keep them in!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Worked on the Drs. new to him lawn tractor Craftsman. It had sat in a shed for 3-4 years, as the P.O. didn't want to sell it after her hubby died, because he had bought it for her! ;0(
    Found the mouse nest to end all mouse nests, under the fly cover! A real mess. And i installed a new battery, and, if it runs ok, i'll change the oil, and sharpen the blades. I have to clean the ignition coil and magnets-very rusty! BT/DT. RJ

• rcbe
    12 years ago

rusty - would also suspect the fuel system.. If that machine was not run dry before being stored for that long, prolly gonna be jelled-up dried fuel in carb/lines/tank.. ?

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Checked it this a.m. All ok. No standing fuel, carb bowl clean, belts ok, runs perfect. Cleaned fly magnets and coil legs. Raining too hard to lawn test it. Sounds good. Done til Monday morning.
    Cleaned out a 3 lb. mouse nest! Have to check blades, and grease fittings, etc. A good deal for all! Rusty

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Delivered the Drs. new to him, the widder womans old one, today, got his old one in return. then, Parks and Recreation told me to keep the el-cheapo red tractor for my efforts. Engine almost out of it, only mounting bolts to remove. Replacement engine is sitting out in old Cub Cadet, ready to go in it! WOO-HOO!! RJ

• tomplum
    12 years ago

That's the way to do it Rusty, I mean No Corrode Jones...

Sponsored